《 Chapter 36 》

"She is not lying." Peter pronounced and once again, I was grateful for his presence. "It is true. You can ask your parents. They know about Beatrice but never wanted her. I can't believe they hid this from you."

Uncle Afolabi's eyes got redder and he clamped them shut tightly, gritting his teeth.

"What the fuck are you saying?" He cussed.

"I'm saying it wasn't Beatrice's mother's fault but that of your parents. You can ask them if you doubt us. Beatrice is your daughter. It is very clear. Even your kids attested to this." Peter countered and grabbed my arms, leading me out of the house and leaving Uncle Afolabi standing in a daze like a man whose proposal had just been rejected and his ring tossed on his face.

I took a last glance before walking out of the house and noticed he had fallen to the floor with his palms on his face.

Peter led me out of the compound and into a car that was parked in front of the huge black gate. He stretched his hand and wiped my face. I looked at him in surprise, wondering why he had done that but when a tear dropped on my lips, I found answers to my question. 

He pulled me into a hug and I rested my head on his shoulder,  crying softly as he rubbed my back. I couldn't tell how long I cried but it was long for my eye to itch.

I broke the hug and leaned into the chair with Peter's sharp eyes watching me.

"I just found my father and I don't know how I feel about it. All I know is it isn't what I expected." I said softly with my eyes shut.

I felt a soft touch on the back of my hand and my eyes fluttered open to see Peter pecking my hand. Despite the situation I was in, I felt butterflies forming in my tummy. I looked away when he lifted his eyes to look at me so he wouldn't see how much I was affected by his singular action.

"You'll be fine. I'm here for you." He simply said and I turned to look at him. His eyes were trained on mine, raising more stubborn butterflies that refused to leave.

"Always." He added with a very soft voice that did nothing but caress my ears.

Iyanu's words replayed in my head and before I could stop myself, my lips were already on his. I felt his jolt of surprise and my cheeks flushed in embarrassment when I realized I didn't know what else to do. I knew there was more to kissing than simply placing your lips together but I didn't know how to go about the next step.

However, I didn't need to think further as Peter took control, sucking my bottom lips and tugging at it till my lips parted, granting him access into my mouth. His fingers got buried in my hair and the feeling felt so heavenly. Why didn't anyone tell me kissing was so good?

Peter's left hand left my hair and wrapped around my waist instead. He angled my head and kissed me deeper. I loved it and I didn't want him to stop so I leaned into him even more, like I wanted to merge our bodies. Our lips danced in sync, making weird noises as we kissed passionately. We were both starved so it was high-time we fed ourselves till we were satisfied.

Peter broke the kiss after a while and I whined in protest. He chuckled at this, leaning in to place a kiss on my forehead, and then on my nose and to both sides of my lips. I felt drugged as I found myself craving for more. He caressed my face and I leaned into his palm, enjoying every little thing he was doing.

He then drew me into an embrace and we stayed like that, enjoying each other's warmth. Peter leaned his back to his seat after a while and I busied myself with his hair, running my fingers through his scalp and enjoying the soft feel of it.

His eyes were shut while I did this and with the satisfied sigh that escaped his lips, I shoved my fingers even further, earning a moan from him.

I pulled my fingers away and placed my lips on his again.  It was intoxicating and I wanted more.

My lips seemed to move on their own accord now as they seemed to have taken lessons and now knew every trick. I ran my tongue around the lines of his lips and sucked his bottom lips till they were plump.

That evening as I prepared a meal for myself and the boys since the 'ladies' weren't back from their 'corner', I heard footsteps behind me and I turned swiftly to meet the reddened eyes of Uncle Afolabi.

Peter had long gone after receiving a call from his mother so I was all by myself, wandering in my forever thoughts, wishing and unwishing for things. The house had been very quiet when  I returned and I had wondered what the boys were doing to make them so quiet. Had they heard our little discussion that didn't go well?  I had not seen them since we had breakfast together.

Uncle Afolabi's face was swollen and his cheeks were wet.  My heart wept at the sight and I couldn't do anything but stare at him. We stood like that for a while: gazing at each other in quietness. 

He began to take a step forward and unconsciously, I took a step back. His face screwed up in pain in reaction to this and his lips quivered.

"Don't run away from me, daughter." His voice was low and before I could process what he had just said, I felt myself being thrown into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry," he cried into my shoulder and tears clouded my eyes. I didn't know what to do so I placed my palm on his back in a bid to calm him.

"I didn't know. I. . .I thought. . .My goodness!" He struggled to speak.

"I understand," I assured him. I didn't like that he was sad.  I had gotten used to him being cheery so seeing this and knowing I was the cause was heart-wrenching.  For this reason, I let him hold me tightly even when I could barely breathe. 

"Beatrice." He finally released me, gazing into my eyes and stroking my hair.  "My beautiful daughter." His eyes were in complete contrast to how they had been some hours ago. They were now so bright and filled with so much love, it choked me. I stared up at him, enjoying the love that was emitting from his eyes.

"Father," I muttered.  It felt strange to call him that but so good at the same time. I finally had a person to call my father and he was no one other than the Uncle Afolabi I had always admired. It was mesmerizing to know he wasn't a stranger, nor an uncle like he was to Iyanu, but a father.  That was much more intimate; the bond was stronger. 

I finally let my tears pour freely as I went into his arms again and wrapped my tiny arms around his broad waist.  He placed his lips on my forehead and placed a kiss on my temple. I shut my eyes, savouring the moment and wishing it would never end.

"I need to see your mother." He informed and I nodded, holding him tighter.