《 Chapter 31 》

"I don't feel good," I confessed, feeling a tight coil forming in my tummy. I suddenly felt nauseous. "I want to go back home."

"What?!" Iyanu's jaw dropped.

"Who will be my date then?" Peter looked at me.

"Let's go back home," I said hurriedly and Iyanu scoffed.

"You're not serious, Beatrice. Honestly speaking. I can't believe this. This is a one-time in a lifetime event and you want to miss it?"

"I don't . . ." I was ready to retort but the light squeeze on my lap shut me up. I stared at Peter's palm on my lap, then returned my gaze to his face.

"It's okay. You'll be fine. I'm here. Okay?"

I gaped at him for a while before blinking, nodding my head repeatedly as I watched him open the door for me.

"I don't understand you sometimes." I heard Iyanu say but I ignored her.

Some guys exchanged greetings with Peter immediately we got out of the car, bringing attention to me to my displeasure as various pairs of eyes rove around my body.

I stood with Peter for a while, hoping their conversation would end soon but it didn't. I was already uncomfortable so standing there awkwardly made me more uncomfortable so I tried to walk into the hall without Peter but his firm grip on my hand stopped me.

I looked at him; he was still talking with his friends, drawing me closer to his side.

I sighed heavily, turning to look at Iyanu who to my greatest surprise, was flooded with some set of girls. They hugged her happily, laughing loudly in their long dresses and corsages. I remembered then that Iyanu had attended my school some years back so she was their old friend.

I felt left out like a stranger as I stood among happy people chatting. Though Peter tried to bring me into their conversation, my tongue remained tied. I still wasn't great at talking with people so I stayed in my space most times when Peter was absent.

From the corner of my eyes, I noticed one of the guys flashing Iyanu a smile and Iyanu blushing with a hand on her cheek. My jaw dropped as I watched them exchange furtive glances.

I was surprised that she had caught the attention of a guy within a few minutes of her arrival. I watched in awe as the boy walked to her in his black suit, extending his hand to her with so much confidence.

We walked finally in pairs to the school hall which had now been transformed into a banquet hall. Each couple clung to themselves like it wasn't a prom dance anymore. My jaw dropped in amazement as my eyes took in the beauty of the hall when we walked in.

Fancy chairs of various sorts were arranged in sync with a well-decorated table in the middle. Coloured lights illuminated spirals on the floor with an interior decoration gracing the walls. There was a red carpet laid from the entrance, down to where the seats were arranged.

"Wow!" I heard Iyanu exclaim beside me but I was too hypnotised to look at her. Some students were already dancing with their date to the soft blues that was playing from the stereo and I noticed some of our teachers sitting by the side of the hall, talking to one another.

"Let's sit there," Peter suggested and I nodded numbly as I let him take me to one of the seats at the front. As we walked, I could feel eyes feeding on Peter and my stomach tensed. Iyanu sat at the table with us; her new date whose lips moved nonstop since they met, sat with her.

My eyes caught Amara standing by the wall with a guy I knew as Daniel and my chest swelled with jealousy. She was looking dangerously beautiful in her v-neck body hug gown.

Her face was coated in makeup which enhanced her beauty and I turned away, now feeling very inferior in comparison to her.

But Peter had said I looked breathtaking or had he just said it out of courtesy? Why then had the boys looked me over when I came out of the car? Also, Why had Clement almost tripped the moment he saw me? Were they that amazed at my ugliness or what exactly did those looks mean?

"What's wrong?" Peter asked me with worry written plainly on his face and I felt bad instantly. I wished he would stop worrying about me so much. It felt like he worried a lot whenever he was with me.

"I'm fine." I smiled, willing myself to stop acting weird so Peter would stop worrying and just enjoy himself. I preferred the easy-going side of him.

"You sure?" He asked and I nodded. "Okay." He stood up. "I'll get a drink for both of us." He told me and I nodded, watching him walk away with so much poise.

It was when he left that I discovered Iyanu had left my side without my knowledge and I turned in search of her when I spotted her dancing with her 'date' at the dance floor. Typical of Iyanu to do.

My face screwed into a deep frown immediately I noticed Amara had stopped Peter on his way. I couldn't understand why it was so difficult for that girl to leave him alone? How long did she intend to chase someone that was clearly not interested in her? It was strange how people thought.

I would never force myself on someone that clearly didn't want me. It was just the case with my stepfather and I had resulted in giving him the space he required. I would do the same to my biological father if he didn't want me whenever we meet.

"Hey." I heard a cool voice say and I turned swiftly to the direction it had come from. There, I saw the smiling face of clement looking down at me with admiration.

"Hi!" I looked him over, impressed by his blue tuxedo and well polished black shoe that shone like brass. His smile broaden when he noticed me assessing him and my cheeks flushed in embarrassment.

"Can I sit?" He asked and I nodded.

"You look very beautiful today," he complimented and my heart fluttered with happiness though I couldn't tell if it was just courtesy or sincerity. Either way, it felt pleasing to hear.

"You look good too," I muttered.

"Not as good as you." He grinned and I couldn't help but admire his beautiful smile. His eyes got smaller and his face lightened up each time he smiled. It was indeed beautiful.

The sweet aroma of some fried snacks filled my nostril the moment Clement opened a pack of small chops.

"Care for some?" He offered, handing me a toothpick but I declined - like every other person would even when my mouth wanted nothing but to have a bite of those brown looking puff-puff.

"Come on," he placed the toothpick in my hand and I finally gave in to my desire, stabbing one dark brown ball and directing it to my mouth. Clement grinned broadly and I was starting to think he had a grinning disorder. Why would someone smile that much in such split hour?

I stretched my hand to serve myself another sweet snack when I noticed clement staring at something. I turned to look only to meet Peter's burning gaze on us. He was holding two tumblers tightly, enough to make me scared they would break under his firm grip.