《 Chapter 37 》

I glanced at my father whose hands were gripping the steering wheel firmly. I smiled inwardly, feeling giddy at just sitting beside him and enjoying his presence in peace without anyone else.

Uncle Afolabi, who had turned out to be my father, had taken it upon himself to break the news to his family two nights ago. It had happened during dinner and I had been nervous the whole time, watching everyone's reaction which had been priceless.

However, Aunty Yetunde, his wife, hadn't seemed to take the news well as she had walked out on everyone, ignoring my dad's calls.

I didn't know what to think and though, I had not expected everyone to take the news well for it was a piece of big news, it had been two days already and yet, she keptt ignoring everyone, talking only to Mrs Adeyemi and Adedoyin.

Iyanu had even informed me she had left the room to stay with the kids and I could see all these were beginning to affect my father so much as the eye bags under his eyes were evident.

The house was not the same anymore too and the kids seemed to have taken sides: Avis on his father's side while arrogant Andy on his mother's. It was heartbreaking to watch but I didn't know what else to do; Aunty Yetunde reacted to my presence like a plague and she moped around, whispering words to herself like some insane person.

Iyanu had assured me the night before that none of these was my fault as I had not planned for things to fall out this way. She had urged me early that morning to enjoy every single activity I was going to be having with my parents and not to let all that had been going on get to me.

"You deserve it." She had ended her speech and funny enough, her words strengthened me. I had been having weird thoughts of running away so everyone would be happy once again but the knowledge that it wasn't my fault and I didn't have the power to change anything, made me think otherwise.

So here I was, sitting at the passenger seat with my dad as we embarked on our journey to the restaurant my mum had chosen to meet.

I was nervous but my dad's funny updates about his experience in the UK helped relieve me. My dad had done nothing but narrate stories upon stories to me ever since we started our journey and I was glad he was willing to share some part of his life with me; that he was opening up to me and filling me in areas I needed to be filled.

Right now he was telling me about his fight with one of the cashiers at a food store.

"That's not true, dad." I chuckled and he threw me a glance.

"I'm serious," he told me and I nodded. With this little time, I had spent with my dad, I had come to understand that arguing with my dad was a lost cause.

"So tell me, Bee, how was it like growing up?" He asked after a while and my tummy tightened. Though I had expected he would ask me such question, I wasn't sure I was ready to answer it. I was tired of reliving the past to people.

Now that my life was taking a positive turn, I wanted to live in this moment and forget that there had been a time in my life when all I knew was sorrow and loneliness.

But it was my father asking, wasn't it? And I couldn't deny him anything, could I?

"You don't have to tell me if you're not — "

"It's fine, dad. I'll tell you," I smiled, feeling my heart swell in pride as I savoured the taste of 'dad' on my tongue.

I loved how smoothly the lone word rolled out from my tongue each time I said it and I could never get enough of the sparkle that filled his eyes each time I called him dad.

He told me earlier that day that he had always wanted a daughter and I had just made him very happy with my existence. It felt so good to hear one's father say such a thing. To be honest, my father was my favourite — my apology to my mum.

I told my father all that I had to go through living without him - but sparing those parts when grandma threw nothing but insults on him and other males.

It hurt to see the sadness that enveloped my father that instance as I recounted my story so I placed a hand on his to show him I was okay and held no grudge against him.

"I'm sorry I haven't been there for you all these while. But things have changed now. You'll see." He tightened his grip on my hand and squeezed assuringly. My heart melted at that singular gesture and I felt my cheek stretch into a big smile.

Mum was already seated quietly at the far end of the restaurant when we arrived. It had not been easy locating her but we did anyway.

As we approached her, I notice my dad's footsteps falter and I intertwined our fingers together. I didn't know why I did that but I felt it might calm him down. I wished I could do the same to my mother: I could tell from the tautness of her body, she was just as tense. I couldn't blame either of them. I felt bad for them in all honesty.

I could still remember how my mother had freaked out the moment I broke the news to her. She had gone quiet for about a minute before she finally said a word: Okay.

I had thought then that she wasn't interested in meeting Afolabi but she sent a location some minutes later to meet.

My mum finally noticed us when we got closer and she shuffled to her feet immediately; her eyes wide in . . .fear? I couldn't tell.

Dad came to a stop and the two held their gaze for quite a while.

I didn't know what to do and I was now very uncomfortable with the attention their action was drawing as people mumbled excitedly to one another, throwing glances our way.

My mum was the first to break the eye contact and only then did we continue our walk to where she sat. I sat beside my mother while dad sat opposite us: in such a way that he was facing us both.

Now seated, silence ensued as my mum fidgeted beside me, concealing her restlessness by searching endlessly for nothing in her bag.

I was relieved when a waiter broke the silence and took our order which comprised of just a bottle of wine. It was obvious none of us had an appetite - well, I did but just didn't know how it would look, eating at this crucial time.

After the chilled bottle of fruit wine was served, my dad poured a reasonable content of the wine into each cup. He passed a glass to me and did the same to mum. My mum stretched her hand to take the glass from dad and then their fingers touched.

The hands lingered for a while as they locked gaze but my mother jerked away suddenly like she had come in contact with fire and got burnt in the process. Her cheeks flushed as her shaky hand brought the glass to her lips.

"Justina Effiong." My dad spoke out for the first time, after another round of uncomfortable silence. His voice was low and very cool, strained with untold emotions and I glanced up at him to notice his now glossy eyes.

"Afolabi Adeyemi." My mum pronounced as they both stared at each other once again; their eyes unwavering.

"How have you been? You look so good." My dad continued and my mum smiled a bit. She did look good with the body-hugging black dress that made her look ten times younger.

"I've been well. You look good too." She ran a finger through her braids and looked down at the glass in her hand.

Dad smiled softly at that and let out a small sigh. His hand grabbed his jaw as he tugged on the strands of black beards underneath. I was sure he was thinking of what next to say and I wondered if my presence was making them both uncomfortable. Perhaps, I should take another seat and leave them both to talk in peace.

"I can't believe this happened." My father finally hit the nail on the head for it had seemed like they had been beating around the bush since we arrived.

"I can't believe they hid this from me. Can you imagine they never planned to tell me and were so shocked when they found out I knew about their deceit? I really can't forgive them for this. In a way, they ruined my life." My dad's hand was now balled into a fist as he struck the table lightly.