《 Chapter 28》

First and foremost, happy new year!
● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

I felt a chill run down my spine as I sat on the passenger's seat next to my mother. I glanced at her and from her rigid body to her stoic face, I could tell she was tensed just as I was. It felt like I was being taken to a police station or better still, my doom.

I didn't know what to expect and the anxiety was killing me. I was scared of my grandparents even when I had never seen them. From all that I had heard, they didn't look like the sweet typical grandparents. 

I shifted uncomfortably in my seat as the car drove, wishing Peter was there with me. He had asked to come along but I had declined because I didn't want to drag him into my fucked up family affairs.

Besides, he had done enough me, I didn't want to stress him further with my issue. However, I wished I had agreed.

Peter was like my surge of hope. His presence radiated sunshine and happiness.  He was a perfect contrast to my Blue and grey existence. 

"Are you okay, Beatrice?" I heard my mum ask and I nodded without looking at her.

"Are you?" I directed the question to her and she let out a heavy sigh. 

"To be honest, I'm nervous." She let out a shaky laugh and I smiled.

"I hope Afolabi's parents have changed.  I really won't be able to keep calm if they try anything funny."

"I'm nervous too." I looked at her then and she stretched her arm to touch me.

"It will be fine. Just be yourself." She encouraged and I nodded.

Just then, my phone vibrated on my laps and I picked it up. It was a message from Peter and he wanted to know how things were going.
*We're still on the way.*

I replied to his message and exhaled. I tried staring at the various cars and buildings we drove past to distract myself a bit from my anxiety but it was fruitless.  My anxiety exacerbated instead.

I rubbed my sweaty palms together and willed myself to be calm.

"It's just my father," I whispered to myself even when it did nothing to ease the tension growing in my tummy, each passing minute.

I leaned into my seat and rested my head on the headrest, already wearied from thinking so much.  My eyelids fluttered close as I listened to the soft tune that played from the music player.

Minutes passed and I felt a hand pushing my shoulder slightly.
"Beatrice."

My eyes flew open to see my mother leaning close to me; her eyes searching mine as I rubbed them wearily.

"Mmm?"

"We have arrived." She announced and my eyes widened in fear.  I jerked up immediately, but my mother's soothing arms held me.

"Relax, Beatrice."

Though she was asking me to relax, I could see that she was just as anxious and nervous as I was. Her eyes were teary and her fingers were shaky.

I opened my mouth to say something but my tongue felt tied.

"Let's say a short prayer." My mother suggested and I nodded, shutting my eyes tightly as I said amen in all appropriate places to the short prayer my mother muttered.

She had asked that God touched the heart of my grandparents and that everything went well to the glory of God. It felt like we were visiting a sacred shrine of some sort.