《 Chapter 2 》

The above book in the media box was written by me and can be gotten on sofanovel. If you're interested in reading, kindly drop a comment here and I'll send the link to you in your DM.  ➡
● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

Peter looked at me intently and smiled, undeterred. "There's a reason you're acting this way and I'm going to find out."

He brought his pinky finger for a bet and when I didn't lock mine with his, he withdrew his hand and walked away.

I heaved a sigh of relief and turned to see if anyone was looking at me - my grandma precisely. Grandma was like a ghost. I could still remember my last experience with her about the opposite sex some years back.

She had seen me playing with a boy and had slapped me very hard on the cheek.

I had been just seven and Timothy had been my classmate; we had both been waiting to be picked up from school so while we waited, we played a game but grandma had walked into the school compound and had seen Timothy holding me tightly on the waist.

Without waiting for any explanation, she dragged me from Timothy's grip and had landed a heavy slap on my cheek. I still felt the pain each time I remembered that incident.

I walked to the library and sat at my favourite spot which was at the rear end. I picked up a romance novel and began to read. I wondered what my fate would be should grandma appear right behind me. I would be done for.

The day I discovered I could get novels from the library without being caught was my happiest. Since then, it had served as my temporary abode in school. I made sure to sit at the end of the library to monitor the movements going on around me.

The novels I read exposed me to emotions such as love. Before then, I had shady thoughts about love due to my grandma's frequent argument with my mother each time she came visiting. My grandma accused her often of falling into the pit of teenage crazy love.

I had felt to love was a sin which no one should fall into - except God. I had felt my mother's sin was falling in love so I made up my mind never to fall into that trap.

But the novels I read portrayed love as magnificent; something everyone should experience. It was portrayed as something worth striving for; fighting for; something tender that needed care and attention.

These books exposed me to the opposite sex. Grandma had tagged the opposite sex especially young ones of my age as goats, idiots, destiny takers, wicked souls and other words used to qualify them.

Grandma's regular sermon was to run away from boys for they were animals who cared only about themselves. But in the novels, I saw boys as heroes; heroes who protected their loved ones. They were portrayed as fighters.

Grandma's teachings and these novels were two contrasting metals and I didn't know which to believe.

I guess these were the things my grandma wanted to avoid. This explains her purchasing of Christian novels and science fictions thoroughly scrutinized before handing them to me but what could I do when these books bore me?

As I read the novel, my mind drifted back to what Peter had said. There's a reason you're acting this way and I'm going to find out.

What did he mean by he was going to find out? How did he intend to find out? My heart began to thud heavily in my chest. What was he up to? What did he intend to do? It had been long I got into trouble with grandma about a boy.

Timothy's incident was the last. Would Peter open up an ancient story?

"He can't do anything. What can he do?" I asked myself and let out a small laugh. I was getting worked up over nothing.