《 Chapter 18 》

"Beatrice, Open up! It's  Peter." Peter said in a sing-song voice. 

I walked to the door and turned the key. I pressed the door handle but it didn't open. I tried again yet the same thing.
"I thought you locked it once?" Peter asked.
"I locked it some more time," I replied timidly.
"How many times did you turn the key?"
"I didn't count."
"Gosh!" Peter exclaimed.  "Try again. This time around, try opening the door each time you turn the key."

I did as he said and finally, the door opened. Peter had a bemused grin on his face.  I bent my head in embarrassment as I paved way for him to pass.
"I'm sorry," I muttered.
"It's fine." Peter drew a stool with his leg and then, placed the tray of food on the stool. There was a bottle of wine on the tray and my eyes widened.

"Why did you lock the door some more? You didn't trust the first locking?" He sat on the bed and patted his side, urging me to sit.
I walked slowly to where he sat. "I saw my grandma  from the window." My voice was shaky. "She saw me."
"How possible?" Peter laughed.
"It's true.  Her eyes met with mine. She knows I'm  here." I panicked.
"She doesn't." He laughed slightly as he drew me to sit on the bed next to him. "She didn't see you.  People outside can't  see through the window blinds, only people  inside, so chill."

I heaved a sigh of relief as I relaxed.  I looked at the plate of food whose aroma was messing with my head.
"All these for me?"
"Yeah."
"It's too much.  I can't finish it."
"This small thing?"
"I'm a girl remember? And girls don't eat like boys." I told him. "Besides,  isn't this a bottle of wine?"
"Ya. I wanted you to drink something special.  I know you haven't tasted this before or have you?" He asked and I shook my head.
"Aren't wines alcoholic?"
"There are non-alcoholic wines and this is one of them. This is a fruit wine."

I smiled broadly.  I couldn't wait to taste it. Grandma had always hidden bottles of wine from me. All she gave me were soft drinks and malts. I watched with delight as Peter uncorked the wine bottle.  I flinched at the loud sound it made and clapped in delight.

Peter and I ate with the same spoon the food he had brought. We also drank directly from the bottle of wine since Peter had forgotten to bring tumblers. This was the first time I shared a spoon or a bottle with another person. 

Peter told me he felt like watching a horror movie and I obliged to his request. I had never watched a horror movie before and I couldn't wait to see one.  Though Peter warned that it was going to be really scary,  I insisted on watching it with him.
"Well, my arms are wide open for you to fall into in case it gets so scary you can't withstand it." He winked at me.

The movie was just as scary as Peter had warned. At regular intervals, I screamed and covered my eyes. I had even jumped on Peter at a point. Peter laughed his head off and teased me.
"Are you sure you'll be able to sleep tonight?" He asked.

The movie ended at exactly 6 pm. I didn't know time had gone this much. I had been so engrossed in the movie. I flinched immediately I glanced at the fancy wall clock in Peter's room. The realisation hit me as I remembered grandma and all the trouble I was in.

Peter led me out of his room and down the stairs.  Though I had the most exciting and fulfilling day of my life — one to be added to my memory — I was still very much afraid. I could hear my heart beating loudly in my chest. I tried to calm myself down by taking a deep breath but it only made me more restless. Peter noticed my anxiety and he entwined my fingers in his.
"It will be fine." He whispered. 

But it wasn't fine. The main door opened immediately we got to the hallway and grandma and some other people walked in. The first thing grandma's eyes went to was our entwined fingers.  Her jaw dropped immediately she saw that.