《 Chapter 14 》

"Don't bother, Iyanu. Just forget it."

"I really want to see how you'd look on it. I'm  not asking you to wear it for the party." She continued to rummage through her innumerable clothes.

"Here it is!" She squealed as she handed it to me.

I reluctantly took the dress from her and walked into the bathroom. I changed into the black silky fabric which clung to my body like a second skin. It felt strange on my skin. Strange but lovely!

I came out of the bathroom and Iyanu squealed. "Wow!  Wow!  Wow! You look fabulous. Exquisite. Dazzling. I need more words. Give me more words!"

I began to laugh at her expression.  Ever since I started hanging out with Peter, laughing became so easy. Many a time, I had been tempted to laugh at grandma especially when she was angry.

Her face took a funny look each time she completely irate; her cheeks got fluffier like that of a puppy. I wondered why I had never found that amusing before.

"Seriously, you look so good."

"Not so good," I told her.

"Have you seen yourself? Babe, use the mirror. Thank God the mirror doesn't  lie." She dragged me to the dressing mirror and stood by my back. 

Honestly, I looked beautiful. I looked like the model on the cover page of a fashion magazine I saw with one of my classmates.  I ran my fingers on the soft fabric as I examined myself. I never knew I had this much of a bust neither did I recognise the curve at my backside.

"Just look at you! Compare it to the agbada your grandma chose for you. I'm sure your grandma would never let you wear such immediately she sees you on this.  Just look at! This dress is perfectly your size. Your body filled the whole attire. It looks like it was made specially for you."

"You think my grandma's mentality  would change if she sees me on this dress?" I asked quietly.

"Of course.  Who would see you in this dress and ask you not to wear it? It's  not possible."

I knew I shouldn't be considering this but I couldn't help it. The dress was so pretty and I wanted to wear it. I really liked the way I looked in it. I really wanted fitted clothes like this;  like every normal girl my age. 

Tonight had been different. Maybe  I should be different just for tomorrow.  Who knows maybe. . .just maybe. . .Grandma would be pleased by how I looked. There was only one way to find out.

That night I couldn't sleep.  I kept tossing from one side to another on the bed.  When I couldn't take it anymore, I stood up and sat on Iyanu's reading chair. I was excited and worried at the same time. Was this a wise decision? 

Should I just forget all about the black pretty dress and stick to my oversize gown just to be at a safe side? But how would I know? What if this was a starting point of something different in my life? What if? Just what if?

After breakfast the next morning, Iyanu insisted I used one of her wigs since my hair was rough — according to her. It still struck me at how much she owned.  She had bags of various sizes alongside shoes.

I had never used makeup but Iyanu applied some on my face. She gave me one of her stilettoes and when she saw I couldn't walk with them, she gave me a white wedge. I couldn't recognise myself in the mirror. 

Saying I looked like an angel was an understatement. Iyanu squealed and clapped after applying the last touch of blush on my cheeks.

A knock came on the door and Doyin walked in.  She was dressed up in a long pink off-shoulder dress.  She looked very pretty.

"A call for you." She handed the phone to me. It was my grandma.  My heart began to thud in my chest. I felt like she was in the room with me.

"Good morning, grandma!" I greeted.

"Beatrice, my baby! How are you doing?  Hope you're fine?"

"Yes, grandma. I am."

"Alright! I just called to hear your voice. We'll see when you arrive at the party. Hope you haven't forgotten all I told you?"

I felt like crying immediately I heard that question. "Yes, grandma." I swallowed.

"Good! Give the phone to Adedoyin."

Glad that the call was finally over, I handed the phone to Doyin who walked out of the room immediately.
"We're on our way. " I heard her say. 

Iyanu was smiling at me when I looked at her.
"What?" I asked her.

"You don't have to worry. It will work out fine. Let's go and scatter the party arena." She grabbed my hand and together we both came down the stairs. We walked out of the house with Doyin leading the way.

"Let's take pictures." Iyanu offered immediately we got out of the house.

"There's no time for that, Iyanu. Beatrice's grandma wants her there right now."  Doyin said casting me a look.

"Come on!  It wouldn't take a minute, besides you look so good on this pink gown. The fabric fits your skin colour so well. I'm sure Dayo would not take his eyes away from you throughout today."

This made Doyin smile broadly. "Alright,  just a minute."

"Hurray!" Iyanu grinned.

I didn't know any style of taking pictures — it had been ages since I took one. I had never had reasons to. I never attended any social function so why would I take pictures? I didn't even have a phone for crying out loud!

Iyanu noticed that I didn't know how to post so she taught me some styles. After taking a couple of pictures together, we got into the car and Doyin drove us out to the party arena.

Iyanu talked throughout the drive and I was grateful she did for her voice distracted my mind from drifting to grandma's possible reaction