《 Chapter 7 》

Dedicated to Stardust_Wendy for making this beautiful book cover for my friend.

"Thanks to you, everything is ruined." I blurted out.

"What do you mean?" He looked genuinely confused.

"What part of stay away from me did you not understand? Why are you hovering all over me? What point are you trying to prove? Or have you made a bet with your friends?"

"I'm not trying to prove any point. I just want to be friends."

"I don't want to be friends with you, can't you see that? Leave me alone, Peter! You're bad luck. Because of you, Ma Suzanne got fired. Can't you see that you're causing pain to me?

"You're ruining my life. Go away! I don't want to talk or even see you. Seeing you disgusts and provokes me. Get away from me!" I yelled at him. I could feel tears welling up in my eyes.

Peter's mouth was wide opened. His jaw was dropped. He stared at me wide-eyed. People had turned to look at us and I could hear whispers and grumbling around me. Peter stood up slowly still looking at me with surprise evident on his face.

"I understand. " He muttered and turned to go.

"One more thing." I stopped him. He turned to look at me.

"Don't ever come to my house again." I blurted and he nodded his head slowly and then walked away from the class.

Mumbles from various angles filled my ear but I paid no attention. I grabbed my library card and walked straight to the library.

Peter obeyed my word by staying away from me. There was a time I was climbing the stairs while he was going down. He kept his head down and walked past me without sparing me a look.

I didn't mind. It was what I wanted. I couldn't afford more troubles with grandma. Ma Suzanne had advised me to be careful and to stay away from things that could provoke grandma's wrath.

I managed to lead a peaceful life after Ma Suzanne and Peter's incidence. Grandma got a new housekeeper the day after Ma Suzanne left. It was very simple for grandma to change staffs. She paid well so many people hoped to work for her.

I hated the new housekeeper. She was nothing like Ma Suzanne. She kept trying to make conservations with me even when I didn't want to and even when she shouldn't.

I continued to stay indoors as grandma expected me to. After celebrating my one month of not getting into trouble with grandma, ill-luck shone on me. It was just so impossible to stay out of trouble with grandma's ferocious rules; I could get punished at any time.

☆ ☆ ☆

It had been on a Monday; the start of the week and also the start of my troubles. 

I sat on my chair that day biting my fingers as I waited nervously for the Civic Education teacher. I contemplated within myself if I should return to the staff room to remind him again like I did some minutes ago.

I decided against it, knowing he would flare up in anger. He had done that countless times.

I grimaced the moment the teacher walked in. I knew I was done for. Mondays and Tuesdays were my worst day. It was always filled with fear and anxiety.

Additional lectures tagged 'lesson' were taken on Monday and Tuesday respectively after the assembly held in the afternoon. These lectures lasted for an hour and thirty minutes before the closing bell jingles.