Chapter Eight; Arguments and Mad Dashes

I was practically on lock-down.

I had given Ed a heart attack, and he had in turn freaked out the alpha, and just as I returned, a search party had been in the process of being organized. Ugh, men. Well tomorrow I had to go meet Epi for day one of my sight training.

"Ryder, are you even paying attention to me?!"

"Huh?"

Ed growled under his breath as I had zoned out again. He was trying to get me to say where I had been, and I was in the process of making one up. Oh, I got it.

"Sorry Ed, I had wanted to get out and get some exercise, and I must've gotten lost."

I offered a sheepish smile, but I sensed that he was not amused.

"Mhm, and tell me, how did you get lost when you could have tracked your scent trail back here? Mind explaining that?"

Damn. I hadn't thought of that. Oh what to say?

"Well, um, you see, it's actually a funny story, you'll laugh when you hear it. So I wa-"

"Ryder, get to the point."

I clenched my jaw, remembering how my mother used to do that to me; boss me around and constantly act like a mother hen. I wonder how she was? How they all were. Maybe I could find an untraceable phone and call them to tell them I was okay. I wonder how Al wa-

"Ryder! Are you listening?!"

I growled at him aggressively, and he growled back. I know horses didn't growl, but most shifters just seemed able to growl. It was handy.

"Stop treating me like I'm a child Ed!"

"Well maybe if you weren't blind I wou-"

I had stiffened, jaw clenched, and my eyes closed. He had just struck a nerve, and I was just barely able to keep ,myself from attacking him. Instead, I stood, shoving past him and walking out the door to outside. I started to shift.

"Ryder! I'm sorry I just! Please stop and come back here! You're acting like a ch-"

I spun around, pausing the shift.

"A what? A child? Huh?! Was that what you were gonna say? That I am a blind, helpless kid?"

I growled, my anger now over the top. I sensed him open his mouth, but before he could say anything, I had shifted and tore out of the yard. My hooves sent turf flying. I shot past houses, people dodging out of my way. I heard indignant shouts and curses as a barreled past. I ignored them all, too angry to care about anything. I heard hoof-beats behind me, and I sped up, my ears pinned back.

"Ryder! Stop!"

Ed whinnied after me, but I let out an angry scream, silencing him and I vanished into the woods, my hooves finding the trail after I had hit the meadow. I tore along the path, my breath coming in snorts and my hooves pounding a tempo. I didn't stop until I reached the canyon. Far away from the town and stupid people.

I slid to a stop, then snuffed the ground, finding Epi's trail and finding a narrow trail leading up the cliff-side. I followed it, and scented once I reached the top. I stopped in amazement. I could see the land stretching out for miles. Plains, and fields, forests, hills, mountains, everything. I stayed there awhile, scenting once the picture faded away.

I felt my anger melt away, leaving a deep sorrow within. Slowly, my legs folded beneath me, and I thumped to the Earth. I laid my head down on the ground, and closed my eyes. Time passed, I sensed dusk, then twilight. I lifted my head and scented, I saw the stars, and the full moon beginning to peek out from the clouds. The land grew darker, and the moon illuminated the landscape. I laid awhile longer, scenting again and again to keep the image in my head just a bit longer.

Eventually I nodded off. Too sad and tired to get up and go home. And the moon glowed above me, and the stars murmured their secrets to each other while I slept.

I woke up when the sun had just risen above the horizon. I stood and stretched, kicking out my long legs to release the kinks from sleeping on stone. I shook my head, then my body. I flicked my ears about, then yawned. A scenting revealed the sun bathed land, and I sighed contentedly.

Hm, maybe Epi was up, I was most likely early, but I did not want to return to the werewolf town yet.

I snuffed out the trail and followed it along the clifftop. I felt the trail begin to dip down, and scenting showed me that a valley was opening up beneath me. I stayed on the trail as first I passed a marsh, then a field of tall grass and cane. Then I walked through a pass, then it opened up into a huge valley, green grass stretching out before me, with a forest at one end, a lake with a waterfall at another end, and a sandy pit at the back near me. It was an amazing place to live.

I kicked up to a lope, following the trail, I passed underneath the trees, and I sensed the trail end. I scented, and was shown a tall two story house before me. I shifted to my human form, smoothing my shirt and rubbing my face. I walked up the steps to the porch, and knocked on the wooden door.

After a minuet, the door opened and Epi stepped out, I sensed he was surprised, but he didn't say anything, just let me in.

"Sorry I showed up early, but uh, I was in an argument with my friends, and I needed out of the village. So I came here."

Epi chuckled, then started making some coffee. Soon its rich aroma filled the room, and my stomach growled. I heard him chuckle again.

"I'll make you a plate."

I just smelt the bacon and eggs on the counter, my stomach growled again."

Soon Epi and I sat, drinking coffee and eating breakfast. The food was delicious.

"Epi, if you don't mind my asking, but, did you ever find your mate?"

He was silent a moment, then he answered me, and his voice held some sadness.

"Yes I did. My sweet Ella. She was a lively thing, short, with dark skin, blonde hair and the prettiest blue eyes. She always had so much spunk and energy."

He was quiet, lost in memories.

"Um, w-what happened to her? Is she here?"

"No, she hasn't been here in a long while. She was killed by hunters about twenty years ago."

We fell into silence, and I grieved for someone I never knew. Eventually, Epi spoke again.

"Well, no need for sadness. Ella wouldn't want that. So after you eat and tell me about your argument, we'll begin training."

I nodded, and dug back into the delicious food before me.

Here it is, you guy's apology chapter! I know this wasn't very interesting, but it was a filler chapter, important. I will try to update soon. But don't bet your life on it. I'm still pretty busy. But enjoy the story.

Feel free to comment, vote, and fan and tell friends!

Peace!

~ Silver_Storyteller