Chapter Seven; Hanging out... And Being Hunted

I jogged through the woods, wanting to get far enough from the pack town to be able to shift in peace. I was getting extremely tired of some certain wolves. Being blind had always had it set backs, but some pack bimbos disliked the attention I got from some of the male unmated wolves, and they were brutal, both physically and verbally.

I found a small clearing and shifted after scenting out the place, I snuffed the air roughly then let out a huff. Something felt odd, not bad odd, but more like, well, something I could trust. I was intrigued, then I let out a small grunt as I stumbled upon a well worn rutted trail. I shuffled my hooves in the dirt, then I shook my head and trotted down the trail.

I had been trotting for about half an hour when I first felt as if I were watched. I slowed then stopped and scented nervously, but came up with nothing but the usual wildlife. This made me even more nervous. I let out a quiet whinny, then ducked my head and swung around at the sound of a branch being snapped. I peeled back my lips and quivered nervously. I had no idea what to do. There had never been an enemy I could not scent, I mean, everything had a scent, so why couldn't I scent this silent hunter?

I felt eyes again and this time it was too much. My instincts screamed at me to follow the trail, not take off into the woods, I didn't know the layout of the land, and I risked a hole and breaking my leg. So I hurtled along the trail. I stumbled, and in that short second of silence, I heard it... The drumming of hooves not far behind. A short squeal of terror burst from me and I ran once more. My ears were flat against my head and my mane and tail streamed out behind me. Sweat dampened my coat and slid down my legs.

But still I did not stop nor slow. And still my silent hunter pursued me from a distance.

Suddenly, an instinct made me slam on the brakes. A scenting revealed that I had trapped myself in a box canyon. I wheeled, preparing to run out of here, but I heard the drum of hooves on stone in the canyon.

I let out a piercing challenge as I reared into the air, pawing and flinging my head. I must have been quite a sight to whoever chased me. My sweat soaked body, wild mane and tail flying, my forelegs pawing ferociously and the whites of my pale blue eyes showing. I came down with a hard thud, and I stood quivering, awaiting for my pursuer.

Unknown Point of View
I trotted around the corner to find the creature I'd been following. A wild black mare rearing, pawing the air with the whites of her eyes showing. I stopped, and unmasked my scent. I was sure she was blind, her pale eyes didn't see me, and she didn't move once she landed aside from her quivers. I saw her nostrils flare out as she caught my smell, and I knew that in her mind as picture formed in her head, then an image of my shifted self appeared in her mind. I let out a soft nicker, wanting to reassure her that I wouldn't harm her. When I had first caught wind of her scent, I was intrigued,what creature could this be? When I first saw her, she was following the trail, then she'd stopped, no doubt sensing my gaze. She became nervous, and moved about, searching for me. I had masked my scent, not wanting her to see me just yet. Suddenly she had bolted, keeping the trail, moving surprisingly fast. I'd followed her, knowing she would certainly soon see the canyon and veer away. But no, she had continued. and after her I followed. Now she stood here, unsure, and I stood still, curious about this blind yet powerful shifter before me.

Back to Ryder's Point of View
I didn't know what to think of this. I could now scent the hunter, and I scented the area. Then I got an image of my hunter. Or at least his horse form.
He was a medium sized flea-bit grey, muscled and stocky. Seemed about late middle ages. I fidgeted nervously, then noticed his eyes; they were a pale pale grey blue. I coughed in the back of my throat.

Are you blind?"

Well I was smart, I just got chased by this guy and he could be planning to kill me, yet I asked if he was blind.
He chuckled but answered me.
"Yes I am. As are you? I presume?"
I nodded, but realized that he could not see it, as if he had nodded and I wouldn't see it.
"A-arg yeah, um... why were you chasing me?!"
He laughed this time, a loud, horsey laugh.
"Well I wanted to know what you were doing here, I apologize for startling you."
I snorted, but shook my head. Then something occurred to me.

"How did you manage to follow me so well?"
He was silent, then I sensed his look up at me.

"Well, I can practically see you, my teacher taught me very well, now I may not be able to see perfectly, but I can still see. Well, it's like this, I used to have to scent like you, but when I met my teacher, who was like us, he taught me many things, and now, I don't see regular color, but I do see, everything has a scent, which has a particular color, like you, for instance, you have a silvery-grey color. And I can see what you look like for real, for like you, I get images of what someone looks like. And I can also, luckily, see walls, do I don't run into them now. I can also sense expressions, not by scent, but by some other sense. It's strange, but I am content. So I am not blind, not really."

I blinked in amazement. Wow, I wished that I could do that, constantly be able to see, maybe not perfectly, but still see. I must've had a dreamy expression on my face that he sensed, because he chuckled.

"If you would like, youngster, I can teach you all I know, including some handy survival tricks."

I perked up, my ears picking straight up, and my eyes were wide.

"Oh can you! I would give anything to at least see!"

He chuckled, and I heard him step forwards.

"Of course I can, but not today, it's already too late out. Wait, I haven't told you my name," He chuckled. "nor do I know yours. Well I am Epimetheus, Greek family, but you can call me Epi."

I laughed at his behavior, he already felt like another grandfather to me."

"I am Ryder."

I sensed a nod, then , as he turned away, he said over his shoulder;

"It is getting late Ryder, you may want to get back, but meet me here the day after tomorrow, in the morning."

I heard the scrabble of hooves on stone, then I turned the opposite way and cantered back along the trail, deep in thought. Oh damn, Ed was gonna kill me when I got back. I sighed and continued back the way I came, still deep in thought.

Ok, so I'm suuuper sorry that I haven't updated in so long, but I have been busy, I have had a lot on my mind, and I kinda had block for awhile on how to make the chapter long enough without revealing too much. So to make up for the long wait, I will TRY to update again within the week. On another note, HOLY COW!! 700 READS?!?! I am soo baffled, and so happy. I really didn't think that this story was gonna be that popular so quickly. I have such amazing readers!!

Anyways, what do you all think of Epi? And the wolf pack? I finally found out more stuff to be able to make the story long enough and not be short and bad. So I am glad.

SO, here is the chapter *chunks it all of you* I will try to get another up soon to make up for the ridiculous wait, so bear with me guys!

Peace!

~ Silver_storyteller