Prologue; Blind Eyes

"You can do it Liberty! Just one more push!"

The woman gritted her teeth, supressing the urge to snap at the doctors. She had gone into labor two hours ago with her first child. She and Seth had agreed to let the child's gender be a surprise. Now she was ready to bring her first child into the world.

After one last heave, a pink skinned crying baby was born. Liberty sighed in relief, then sat up to see her new baby. Her husband, Seth Parker, held the baby tenderly with tears of joy in his eyes. He murmered soft, meaningless words to the newborn, already in love with the baby girl.

Liberty smiled lovingly at Seth, they'd been through so much together. They had gotten engaged two years after Liberty returned from her wild life, they'd gotten married a year after that. Now they'd been married almost five years when they'd first learned that Liberty was pregnant. They'd been very happy.
Nine months later, the baby was here at last. She would grow strong, and one day; she'd become leader of Seth and Liberty's herd; the BlueGrass Herd. Liberty and Seth were shapeshifters, horse shifters to be exact. And this new baby was a shifter too. She felt the wind stir in the tiny baby. The wind ran through her veins.

"Her name shall be Ryder."

Seth nodded happily before looking back down at the baby. Liberty then heard a soft gasp. She shook herself out of her thought and looked over at Seth. His eyes were wide with wonder and sadness.

"What's wrong?"

She was afraid. Was the baby okay?

Wordlessly, Seth turned and showed Liberty the newborn's face. The baby's eyes were open, but bright blue eyes stared sightlessly at her mother. The girl's clear blue eyes, were the eyes of the blind. Liberty gasped softly and took the baby and held her against her chest. She closed her eyes and laid her forehead to the baby's. She would make sure the baby would grow up safe and happy, no matter that she would never see the beauty of the world.

"She will be safe." Seth stood protectively over his family, and smiled down at his beautiful wife and child. No matter her blindness, Ryder would be strong when she grew up.