Chapter Nine; Training

"Okay Ryder, I know you want to see, but first, I want to enhance your other senses while you are still mostly blind, so when you can see, you will just be more skilled."

I just made an hum in agreement. I understood this.

"Okay, so first, we'll work on sense. Shut off hearing and smell, and just focus on sense. If you focus correctly, you should be able to sense me, and any other living thing near us. As you sense something, tell me what you think it is, and how far you think it is."

I nodded, knowing he could sense it, or see my movement in his odd sight.

Okay, focus on sense, got it. I focused on sense, but still could hear and smell things. I took a breath, and tried to focus more strongly. My other senses faded a bit, but not much. I was to aware. I growled angrily. Epi stepped in.

"Okay Ryder, it's okay. I was able to get it quickly because I learned while I was very young. You have grown dependent on all your other senses. But lucky for you, I have a solution."

I heard him moving away, then he came back. He tied something around my nose and ears, and boy, I felt blind, deaf, and couldn't smell. I was predictably nervous. He pulled the cloth away from one ear so I could hear him.

"Okay, so know, it should be easier to focus simply on touch. Try again."

I nodded as he put the fold back over my ear. I let out a breath, and focused on the only sense left; touch.

I was aware of at first, myself, then I concentrated on expanding my conscience out. At first, it all seemed a bit fuzzy, then, I sensed Epi.

"I sense you Epi, about ... a yard?"

"Horect"

"Huh?"

I cocked my head to the side, sensing Epi coming closer, then Epi pulled the cloth down.

"Correct. I won't pull the cloth down anymore, you should be able to sense me nod."

I sensed him move away, about ten feet away.

"Okay, you moved about ten feet away ... with a small ...rodent? Near your feet?"

I sensed a nod then a head-shake. Okay, I was to try again.

I concentrated on the object, sensing mammalness. But not like a rodent. I cast about, searching for what a rodent felt like. Aha, there's one. A rodent felt warm, mammal, but quick breathing, and rapid heartbeats, and something that just seemed ... rodentey. Okay, so this other thing was bigger, slower breathing, heavier. Perhaps a dog or cat.

"Is whatever next to you a dog?"

A nod. Hm. Wait, where did the dog come from? I tried tracking the dog's path to learn where it came from, but that was too much for me, and I felt a headache threaten. I pulled back and focused on other things.

"So, there's a ... mole? No, mouse, under the ground and about two feet behind you. It is quite worried you're about to hurt it."

I felt the vibrations as he chuckled and nodded. I was pleased, but realized I was exhausted. I slumped down, then jumped as I sensed a mouse race away from me, I guess I hadn't focused on near me. Hm, I would have to remember that.

I pulled the blindfold off, and my other senses came back. But I found I could focus a little better on touch than before. Interesting.

"You did good Ryder. Take a short break then keep focusing. You will have to try to expand further, and before you do, I will hide, and you will try to hunt me down, using only sense. Without the blindfold"