A Mother Hen...and Her Chick

Coral loved visiting the Octopod.

It wasn't a simple fact. It was the thing that everyone could feel. 

The Octonauts could tell there was something she loved more...a reason. Whenever she entered the Octopod they could feel it, practically live it, the love that came off her.

The same love that came off of Barnacles.

It was Peso.

While Barnacles was Peso's adopted father, Coral was still his mother, and he was still one of the most important people in the world to her, perhaps THE most important person. It was nice having Coral on the Octopod, the way Peso's lit up like Christmas at night when he learned she was there, they way they hugged and loved each other, despite everything. All they went through didn't destroy their love. It made it stronger.

When they were in Antarctica, it had always been natural to let Peso see his family. Usually, it was Pinto that caused all the excitement. But Pinto was dead. Dead to the world now, until he got out of the hospital, and they could tell it was shredding Peso's mother mercilessly, the feeling that she wasn't meant to be a mother.

It hurt Peso more. Not only did he feel HE brought Pinto that sickness, but he felt he could've done something. And now he felt his mother hated him.

"Don't say hat." Barnacles gently rested a paw on Coral's shoulder. "Of course you were meant to have children."

"With HIM." Coral sniffled, wiping her eyes. Barnacles sighed. "I know. It feels like marrying him ruined everything. But it didn't. I'm sure you wouldn't have done that if you didn't feel something, ANY thing. If anything good came out of it, it was your sons."

Coral sniffled.

"I'm very glad to have Peso, and I think you should know that you are the luckiest mother on earth to have a son like him. And he is the luckiest boy to have a mother like you."

"He's the luckiest boy to be found by people like you and Mr. Inkling." Coral blew him off. "What have I ever done for him?"

"You nourished him." Barnacles answered calmly. "And you protected him, even if you don't realize it. You CARED for him. Because of you, he knows there is still love in the world. It was your love and care for him that kept him from ending up like his father. I can tell."

Coral looked him square in the eye. "How do I know you're not just saying that?"

"Because I wouldn't say that if it weren't true. A lie would make things worse."

Coral took a deep breath, and wiped her eyes. Barnacles sighed. "It's been a long past few weeks for both of you."

"I need to be strong for him."

"No one can be strong forever. That's why FAMILIES are there for each other." Coral nodded, finally seeming to calm down. Barnacles took the opportunity to carry on. "You have Peso for the day. Try to think of something besides Pinto for a while. Think of your other son. Pinto's in good flippers, I promise. Dr. Galen's as good as they come. Just ask Peso." Coral giggled a little, nodding slowly, She put her glasses back on. Pinto had gotten better in the last week, but in the blink of an eye, he seemed to have gotten worse. He was supposed to move on to kindergarten last month, but it had to be held off. The Octonauts knew both Coral and Peso were scared to death. But if Peso's strength was any indication, they knew Pinto could pull through. He was Peso's brother.

Coral had been tucking her son in for his nap earlier when Barnacles sensed something was wrong. Of course, Pogo had warned them that she was in a bad place, but they were more than happy to have her visit. Watching her tuck Peso in  and care for him like that was just...beautiful.