Permanently Precious

They took Peso home in two days. The doctors had checked him over, and found no more injuries or wrong-doings. The nurses had kept him comfortable, and done their best to lift his spirits.

Peso got plenty of stare as they left. Mostly because he was a penguin. But, some of them were aimed at the noticeable bulge in his new overalls. Dashi had found him some new clothes, and sewn anti-thermals in them, since the diapers wouldn't fit over Peso's cold suit. Sure enough, they were more baby cloths, just as Peso thought. What kind of Little wet out dressed?!

Barnacles set Peso down on his bed, and looked him in the eye. "Peso...please talk to me." Peso turned away. He wanted to forgive the captain, but it was so hard. This felt more like a punishment from his father than anything else. And, in a way, it kind of was.

Barnacles sighed. "Honey...I'm so sorry. If there was another way, I'd have taken it. This is the last thing I want to do to you after everything you've already gone through." Peso rolled his eyes instinctively, and turned to say something, stopping when he saw the captain's face. The bear looked really downcast, almost like he was about to cry. Peso couldn't help it. He burst into tears, angry and frustrated. Barnacles scooped him up, and cuddled him close, whispering comforting words. Peso cried for twenty long minutes, before ending up with the hiccups. "Hold your breath," Barnacles instructed. Peso did so, sniffling.

The bear smiled at him. "All better now, Peso?" Peso just looked at him, and sniffled some more. "Aww." Barnacles held Peso close to his chest, and smiled gently at him. "We've got a surprise for you." He carried Peso into his room, and let him look. While Peso was in the hospital, they turned his room into a nursery. He had a white crib, and a mobile, a rocking chair, changing table-anything a baby needed was in there. Peso took it in, silently. Barnacles waited anxiously for his opinion. After taking the medicine, he wasn't sure if Peso would want to be a Little anymore. But Peso snuggled against his chest, and the bear sighed in relief. "I thought you didn't-!"

"I love you, Daddy." Peso's voice was quiet as a whisper, but Barnacles still heard it. The bear settled into the rocking chair, and held Peso tight. "On my honor as an Octonaut," he whispered to his little charge, "I promise I'll never leave you. I promise I'll protect you with my life, and you'll be my baby for as long as you need. I'll take good care of you." He rocked gently back and forth, humming a lullaby. Not that Peso needed it. The little one was already fast asleep.

Peso squirmed in his crib the next morning. He didn't have the strength to walk by himself, and the diapers now felt foreign. He knew they were there, keeping him safe, and he knew they were not coming off, most likely to make him a laughing stock the next time he went out in public. 'Why do I even care at this point?' He wondered to himself. No matter what, he'd always be a joke.

Barnacles entered the room to find Peso looking downcast, staring at his diapers. They must've felt different now that Peso knew they would never come off again, except for changing. The bear smiled gently, and tried to think of a way to make this better. He glanced at a small pile of stuffed animals stacked in the corner, waiting for Peso, and scooped up a soft, plush beluga whale.

"Hello." He cooed teasingly at Peso, waving the toy above him. Peso glanced up, and drew back a little, confused. Barnacles chuckled, and made the whale pat Peso's head. "Do you want to play with me?"  Peso giggled, and gingerly took the toy, snuggling it. He didn't even mind being picked up for a change, until he saw something different.

"These are even thicker as my old ones." He whined, squirming. These new diapers made it impossible for his legs to touch, and lifted his bottom off of the ground. Barnacles nodded. "They warned us, you might be a heavy wetter. You need extra protection." He poked the padding, making it crinkle. "And, look! They have ocean print!" Peso just looked at him with sad eyes. Barnacles sighed, and picked him up, just as Kwazii walked in. "How're we doing today?" The cat inquired, his voice soft and gentle. "We're in a bad mood." Barnacles replied, giving Peso a sympathetic look. The little penguin ignored him. "Aww," Kwazii walked over and smiled at him, patting his head. "You wanna try and walk, little feller?" Peso sniffled and nodded. Barnacles set him on the floor, and instructed him to go to Kwazii. Peso could barely pick himself up. These thicker diapers would cause more problems. He fell down immediately, landing on his backside. He knew he could do it, it was these stupid diapers!

Peso trued again, and took a wobbly step. Instead of going anywhere, he fell on his soft belly. Kwazii gave him a smile. "You can do it, li'l matey." Peso tried to get up, but with the diaper hugging his tummy, it was hard to bend enough to do that. So, he rolled over, and instantly regretted it. He lay on his back, stuck. Unable to do much else, he let out a cry. Barnacles picked him up. "Maybe we should try some other time." Peso, however, had other plans. He wasn't going to let some stupid padding beat him! He squirmed out of Barnacles arms, and tried again. He was waddling so badly now, more than before. But, by holding his flippers out for balance, and leaning back and forth, he managed to get to Kwazii. The cat scooped him up, and showered him with praise. "Good boy! Good job!" Barnacles chuckled. "Stubborn little fellow." He commented, leading them out the door for breakfast.

Dashi smiled at Peso as they entered, and Kwazii strapped him into his high chair. Peso pouted unhappily when the padding scrunched up. "Hey, Peso." Dashi said softly. "How are we doing?"

"Not too good. At least he can sort of walk." Kwazii replied, stroking Peso's feathers. The little penguin just sat, brooding. Dashi came over, and gave him a kiss on the head, not that it helped.

After breakfast and his morning bath, Peso was set in his playpen in the den with his toys, but he didn't play. He felt terrible. What now? He was stuck looking even more babyish than he had when he left Antarctica.

Barnacles lifted him back up, and turned on 'The Care Bears: Welcome to Care-a-Lot' hoping to cheer him up. Peso looked at it, and looked back down, still downtrodden. Barnacles stroked his soft feathers, and gave him a teddy bear to hold. "My precious penguin." He cooed gently, hoping to make Peso smile. Peso didn't smile, but he did nestle into Barnacles' chest. The bear smiled. 'That's my precious baby.'