A New Friend

They didn't think about him too much.

They'd only ever met him once.

But, there was something about him Peso had never told them

They'd met before...

A little Peso walked forlornly to school, bracing himself for the taunting he's grown used too. It all came from the same people, with the rest of the class backing him up.

Who wanted to hang out with gay, diaper-boy Crybaby?

His father was mostly to blame for it, but what good would come from telling them his father forced him to ear girls' clothes? How could he anyway? If his father heard that, he'd be seeing his Mama Rosita sooner than Dia De Los Muertos.

Once he was in the schoolyard, it came. His father had taken his headphones, so he couldn't block it out. Pink glasses, fluffy feather, baby face, ridiculous clothes. How could they resist?

A large boy came forward. He was the school's newest member, having only come here five weeks ago. Of course, the first thing he was told, was to watch out for Crybaby Peso.

He was easily the best athlete the school had ever seen, too. Bad news for Peso, but good for everyone else.

'I wish Dad would take it as an invitation, that I've already been beaten up.' Peso thought, glancing down.

"Look at me, shrimp." Peso tensed, fear getting the better of him.
"I said look at me." The boy yanked him up by his collar, showing hi m off to the entire courtyard.

"Cry, baby!" Hugo taunted mercilessly, throwing him on the ground, and proceeding to lead the morning torture.

Peso snapped awake with a start.

It didn't matter now. It was in the past.

If anyone told him he'd be competing the Ironclam at all, he'd have laughed. But, if he'd been told he would be competing it with his old school bully, he would've gotten as far away as possible. Of course, Hugo would call him a wimp, but at least he wouldn't have to be around to hear it.

That was why he was so scared. He couldn't tell the others about his past, not with Pinto standing right there. But he couldn't think of another excuse, so he sucked it up.

It ended in a tie, so he hoped that counted for something.

it didn't stop the barrage of cyber bullying, though.

'Hugo could've easily beaten you.'

'Yeah. I bet the sore loser would've cried if he lost.'

'I bet you broke his flipper to win.'

Peso tried to ignore it all.

He didn't think it would come back.

"I'm just not sure." Barnacles ventured.

"Well," Dashi countered, "it's going to be hot. We can't bring him."

"I just don't think the Vegimals are brilliant babysitters. No offense to them though. They're good playmates, but not babysitters." Dashi nodded. "I know, but what do you suggest?"

"I'm sure I can find someone who'll do it."

Peso sat in his stroller, listening to the talk. The Octonauts had been asked to court to oversee some things involving Peso's adoption. No matter the temperature, they couldn't take him with, but that meant they needed someone to watch him. And, it needed to be a good someone, because if anything went wrong, Peso would be sent to foster care. They didn't even want to IMAGINE how that would end!