You've Got A Friend In Me

Peso hated diaper changes.

It was nice to be cared for, but he just couldn't get used to them.

Barnacles sighed, smiling fondly at Peso. Yet another diaper change gone difficult. Peso was letting the captain diaper him, wriggling and kicking for authenticy, but Barnacles knew what the problem was.

"I forgot powder, didn't I?" He lifted the bottle, poured some onto the brush, and powdered Peso's lower half, before doing up the diaper.

Peso glared at the new diaper, feeling slight discomfort. He hated the cold wipes, and the feeling of being exposed he got every time he needed his diaper changed. Whenever it was off, he felt naked down below. He also didn't like being reminded of his predicament.

It also reminded him of...not so happier times.

Barnacles placed him on the floor, and patted his head. "You sit and play for a while," he instructed Peso. "I'll be back in a bit." Peso pouted on the floor. Barnacles sighed. Peso was in a bit of a fussy mood. Smiling amusedly at Peso's baby face, Barnacles snuck up behind him, and tickled his sides.

Peso only whined, squirming about. The bear picked him up. "Okay. I know you know what's happening." Peso cried out unhappily and squirmed against his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Peso. But they need to give you a checkup to make sure everything's alright. Remember?" Ever since Peso's sickness, it had been daily checkups turning into weekly checkups, something he did NOT like. Peso had been to the hospital for huge surgeries twice before, and it was no mystery pf the outcome. The first visit landed him in diapers. The second involved him losing his best friend.

"Peso, I know you hate the hospital." Barnacles sighed. He was glad, at this point, that Peso had decided to remain a medic. But, it was wearing him thin these days, trying to get Peso to go along. "But, you know perfectly well it won't last long. You'll be fine." He picked up the bear Peso had gotten at the hospital. It was fluffy and dressed in a doctor's coat and stethoscope. They called it 'Hospital Bear.'

"WAAAHHH!!!" Barnacles felt his heart wrench, and he pulled Peso into a hug. "Oh, Peso. Please don't cry."

"WAAAHHH!!"

Barnacles sat in the rocking chair, and carefully moved back and forth. "Oh, poor Peso. Poor Peso." he gave the little one kisses, and nuzzled his head. "Don't be scared." Peso jumped out of his arms, and scampered into the closet, hiding from him. Barnacles couldn't help a fond chuckle at Peso's adorable behavior.

"Now, Peso." He cooed, opening the door, and smiling at the little figure concealed by blankets and clothes. "It'll last an hour and be done. It's not the end of the world."

"Dun wanna go." Peso whimpered. Barnacles noticed the quiver in his voice, and his expression softened. "I know you don't. But, It needs to be done. You don't want to get sick again, do you?"

"...No..." Barnacles reached under the blankets, and pulled Peso out. Peso had managed to partially swaddle himself in his baby blanket. Barnacles cuddled him close. "Let's go get you a bottle. And a cookie. How about that?" Peso hid his face in Barnacles' chest, not answering.

"I bet a little playtime will make you feel better." Barnacles settled Peso down in his nursery, adjusting the sleeper he was wearing. It was toy story themed, to match Peso's new toy.

The little penguin had been carrying Woody everywhere. They were pleased that he like it, but the loss of Snow Bear was still hitting him hard. Hence, his aversion to hospitals.

"Even doctors and nurses need help, Peso." Barnacles told him. "It'll be quick." He hoped Peso would feel better when he was dressed in something snug and cozy.