You Like What You Like

Peso sat on his bed, sad. He'd just finished taking care of about twenty patients, and they'd all gone home, good as new. he usually came out of little space for that. but this time, he had no choice. He had to wear a blue onesie to cover his diaper, and the stupid diaper was still visible, bulging around his waist with layer after layer of cottony padding.

He poked it, frustrated. Everytime he moved, he got a cacophony of crinkles. He couldn't change  himself. it was impossible to move right, and he needed constant help. He was a Little, true, but this was too much. He felt like he was basically being forced to shout his worst secret out to the world.

Barnacles walked in w, knowing Peso was probably not in a mood to play their little game. Sure enough, Peso was right where he expected him to be: sitting on his bed, mopping. He smiled gently at Peso, but it only came out strained, and turned into a pained frown.

Usually, it wasn't this bad. But, one of Kwazii's thick-headed comments put an end to that:

'You wear diapers all the time! What' s the big deal?'

"Peso?" Barnacles sat on the bed ext to him. Peso's face hardened a little. He was still kind of peeved at the captain for making him take that medicine.

"Peso...I

m sorry about Kwazii. He just...doesn't get it." Peso shrugged, not looking at him. Barnacles knew this was hard: Littles liked to stay in the shadows when playing their game. Peso was begin forced into humiliation outside of that for all to see.

Barnacles went to the closet, hoping to find something to cheer Peso up. He picked p a stuffed monkey, and turned around to find Peso poking his diaper curiously, allowing it to admit casual crinkles. He smirked. "Enjoying your diapers, I see?" He teased, making Peso's face sour.

"Oh, come on now. Don't be like that." The bear strolled over to the bed, and gave Peso's poofy rear end a pat. "I think you look cute in them." He slid his paws under Peso's flippers, and lifted him, letting his padded bottom dangle. In response, Peso squirmed and kicked his legs, letting off a symphony of cushy noise. Barnacles couldn't help chuckling, which only made Peso more frustrated. "I'm not cute!"

"Yes, you are." Barnacles sat down in the rocking chair, and gave Peso his monkey. Peso clumsily threw it down. "Why does this always happen to me?" Barnacles looked into Peso's eyes, and saw him hold back tears. "Peso," he picked the monkey back up. "I know it's hard. But...you do like them. I can tell."

Peso looked away, feeling really upset. That was the worst part. He did like them, but it was hard to admit that. They were cushy and comfy and soft,and wearing them made him feel safe. But, due to his father, he'd been wearing them until the eight grade, and that wasn't a lot of fun. He could still hear the laughs and jeers of his classmates...

Barnacles laid Peso gently against his shoulder. Peso looked helpless and small, and more than ever in the world, like a young child. Poor little kid.

"Listen, Peso. Kwazii might tease sometimes, but he does care about you. Which means, if someone gives you grief for it, they'll have to deal with us. Okay!" Peso didn't respond.

"I promised to protect you. Can you try to believe my promise?"

"O...Okay Daddy." Barnacles gave him a smile, and thumbed away a tear. Peso nestled against his shoulder, but he couldn't take it any more. He started crying, and Barnacles held him tight, gently whispering to him, until he fell asleep against him.

It should have been the end of it.

"C'mon, Peso. You're the only one who knows his way around this place." Peso snuggled further under the covers. "I can't. I'm sick." Barnacles sighed, and gave Dashi a pleading look. The dog shrugged. She knew they need Peso to come, but she also knew why he didn't want to.