Chick-itten

"Me? A babysitter?"

Kwazii looked at the captain in disbelief. Barnacles just chuckled. "Kwazii, I think you're a lot better with babies than you give yourself credit for."

"But I'm a pirate!"

"Then be very careful."

Kwazii stammered out another excuse, but Barnacles ignored him, turning his attention to the little bundle in the cradle at his feet. The other Octonauts were already in the Gups, waiting for him. The bear just didn't understand why Kwazii didn't think he could babysit his own brother?

"It's simple enough, Kwazii." Barnacles assured. "Peso's a good kid. He's an easy baby. He'll be sure to tell you if he needs something."

"How am I supposed to know what it is?" Kwazii sighed, exasperated. Barnacles chuckled again. He lifted little Peso. "I think you'll know. Peso will tell you. You just have to know what to listen for." He nuzzled the penguin, who was dressed in his signature baby clothes. "I think little Peso here would be very glad to spend the day with you. You're his big brother. He looks up to you."

Kwazii sighed, looking at the infantilized penguin. Ever since discovering Peso was a Little, Kwazii had been determined not to hurt him. It was harder than the other Octonauts said. He was terrified that he would harm Peso in some way. He was a pirate, not a nursery maid!

And he didn't have a clue how he would manage without the other Octonauts there offering advice. Practice was easy enough, b8t was he ready for the test? Days upon days on end with the captain and his fellow Octonauts teaching him how to care for little Peso-kins properly. Changing lessons with Inkling, feeding lessons with Shellington. Dashi taught Kwazii how to hold Peso properly and dress him into new clothes. Barnacles taught Kwazii how Peso liked to be cuddled and what his favorite things were. Kwazii STILL didn't feel very prepared.

But there was no more time for that kind of thought. A soft, bundle of weight was deposited in his arms. Peso looked up at him innocently, one flipper in his mouth. Kwazii swallowed. this little penguin was probably his greatest weakness. He'd do anything for that adorable face. How could he say no to this helpless little thing, leave him in harm's way??

Peso was making Kwazii soft.

":I'm not sure this is a good idea, captain." Kwazii protested again. Barnacles turned around, already in the Gup. "You're the best one for the job Kwazii." He told him brightly. "Peso seems to really like you."

"Then YOU should be the one staying with him." Kwazii shifted Peso to the other arm when he started to fiddle with his chest fur. "I can't babysit!"

"You'll do fine. Peso seems to think so." The little penguin had made himself plenty comfortable in his big brother's arms, and was watching closely. Kwazii knew that Peso knew what was about to happen. And the cat knew what would happen when it did.

"Captain I-" The words caught in his throat. 

"Kwazii, open the Octohatch." Barnacles ordered simply. The cat sighed and did as he was told. Why couldn't the captain see he was the wrong cat for the job? He'd have gladly stayed with Peso...if he weren't all alone.

Well, he wasn't. The Vegimals would be here too. But Kwazii doubted their babysitting skills. Otherwise, Barnacles would've brought Kwazii along.

He cringed at the inevitable sound of a baby cry. Peso watched the Launch Bay pool with big watery eyes. He hated it when his father left the ship, even if he knew he would be right back. He felt scared that he wouldn't. Like he was about to be abandoned. After all he'd been through, Kwazii couldn't blame him. He would have plenty to cry about, the soft-hearted little thing.