A Little Bit Of Family

Peso stared out the window of the Gup A, watching the ocean go by. Sometimes, it was weird to be on land after all this time in the water. It had been almost a year.

That really made him think-what was he missing on land? When he thought about that, he usually thought about how much safer he was under the ocean with his new father.

One thought led to another, and soon, he was feeling sick again with the same single thought that had haunted him since the holidays started.

Would they even WANT to see him again?

He had moved on best he could. He had changed. He was learning to speak his mind, and he wasn't afraid of his own father or his rules anymore. Not to mention his new medical condition. Would his family be proud? Or, would they consider themselves a burden on his mind, or worse, the other way around?!

He watched a school of fish paddle out of the way, and propped his head in his flipper. His mother would probably be disappointed, even though it was her idea for him to be adopted. Would they even consider him a member of the family anymore?

Kwazii glanced over his shoulder, and smiled, as if sensing Peso's thoughts. He parked the Gup, and sat down next to his little brother, placing one paw on his shoulder. "I wouldn't worry, pal. Even though things have changed, I'm sure they'll be happy to see you. You're still a member of the family; nothing can take that away."

"Unless they disown me." Peso mumbled, wondering to himself. Would he do the same thing? He doubted it, but still, he wasn't completely sure.

"Oh, don't be like that." Kwazii wrapped him in a one-armed hug, smiling. "It's only a couple of weeks. What could go wrong?"

"A lot."

Kwazii didn't let up. "You'll have fun, trust me."

Peso sighed. He knew, from his own LUCKY experience, that something would appen. But, he kept a brave face on. They'd been burdened enough with his problems. They'd done so much for him. No need to keep bothering them. He could take it.

He watched the Gup disappear under the surface of the ocean, waving slightly. Kwazii waved back, and, just like that, he was gone.

Peso took the handle of his roller bag, and glanced toward his childhood home. His family had lived in a small house, with a white picket fence around it. It was white with black shingles on the roof, and looked every little bit like the most normal, unexceptional place on earth, the last place people would think to even look at. It always looked the same.

Peso knew the inside was what counted, though. The inside was like a hidden realm, that someone would have to pass through a wormhole to enter. And immediately wish they hadn't.

He carefully unlocked the gate of the fence, trying not to think too much. He knew if he started, one thought would lead to another until he was a hot mess.

At the sound of the gate clicking into place, the dog door on the porch snapped open, allowing  five furry rockets to fly across the front yard. Peso laughed as the bundles of fur jumped up and down, howling with delight and covering his face with slobbery kisses. At least the dogs were always the same.

Phil, their malamute, cuddled up to Peso immediately. Peso remembered when he was smaller, and how he loved it when Phil would climb into bed with him. Phil had also liked to take Baby Pinto to his own dog bed to snuggle, which was the most adorable sight on earth.

Their huskies, Khan and Melly raced around the yard in excitement, as if Peso had been gone for a century. But, Peso decided it had been long enough for them. He chuckled as he remembered Melly's love of snuggling, and how she used to steal his toys and sit in her dog bed, one paw wrapped possessively around them, as if they were her puppies. She especially loved babies.