Little School

Barnacles kept to the shadows, watching closely. At least Peso was starting to enjoy himself. That was a comfort.

The doctors and nurses assured him that there was nothing to worry about and that Peso's memory would jog back into place soon enough, just after it finished sorting out all his thoughts, which had jumbled together in a blockage of negativity, and soon enough, Peso would be his old self again. Hurt, but back to normal.

He had to smile, though. Peso looked like a normal kid, eleven at most. He fiddled innocently with a block of clay in the art room, and painted some pictures. He read fairy tales in the library. He talked to Ada and played with some toys and instruments in the children' playroom, and Barnacles happily joined him. Peso seemed used to him now, albeit a tad wary, and accepted his presence. Barnacles wished Peso could stay this happy in the future.

Dr. Galen said there was a way to keep him happy. But he needed someone to take care of him. It was simple as that. The nurses agreed. It had all been stress, they said, anxiety that came from an adult world he wasn't ready for. He needed to be protected for who he was Because there would always be people who wanted to hurt him. People who wanted to make him grow up.

Barnacles felt almost depressed hearing this, but he kept it to himself for now, and tried to enjoy some quality time with Peso, the first in weeks.

Peso flopped onto his fat, soft belly and rolled over to look at Barnacles upside down. The bear chuckled. "What are you doing, you silly?" He cooed, teasing as he lifted Peso into the air, still upside down, and blew a raspberry onto his tummy. Peso squeaked and happily laughed, kicking his little legs. Barnacles smiled at his cuteness and leaned back to cuddle him.

It was all so simple, until Peso started relapsing. Barnacles wondered; was he doing something wrong?

"You love him. That's natural, to feel guilty." Dr. Galen had told him. "But not everything is in your control. It's not all your fault. The fact that you're doing you're very best---and you've done a good job---that should tell you that it wasn't your fault."

Barnacles needed to quit pitying himself and help Peso get back into shape.

One day, Barnacles came in to find a new problem had arisen.

"Is something holding up Ada's release?" The warden headmistress asked, coming up to a pair of nurses. Barnacles peered over their shoulders to see Peso holding tightly to a young girl in a dress. Ada.

"Yes. Peso and Ada think they're never going to see each other again."

Barnacles turned to smile at Peso...only to find they were gone.

The sound of giggling drew Barnacles and Peso's nurse, Kacey, to the playroom. A cardboard box? Really?

Barnacles chuckled softly. "Kids."

Kacey lifted the box to reveal two little children and a colorful ball. 

"Huh?!" The little ones clearly didn't expect to be caught. Peso's eyes were round and surprised. Ada's were fearful.

"Alright you two bits." Kacey giggled. "I know you want to keep playing, but it's time to say bye bye." She lifted Ada and began to carry her off.

Peso watched sadly. "No bye bye." He whimpered in his baby voice.

Barnacles immediately knelt down next to him, worried. He knew how Peso felt about change. "It's not forever Peso. You can still have playdates with her."