A New Friend 2

"No pain, no gain! Say it with me." Hugo, panting, went through the training course again, repeating the phrase. His father had set up this course, and had him run it twenty times each day. He was out of breath, and hurt all over, but his father didn't see the problem. He called it 'progress.'

It was hard living like that. Hugo didn't even know if he had any other interests. He'd have loved to try something other than sports. But his father wouldn't allow it.

Therefore, he became a bully. On his first day at his new school, he was warned about Crybaby. He had to admit, he was jealous. Crybaby was in so many clubs, and got to do so many interesting things...it wasn't fair.

So, he picked on him.

"Hugo, you've hurt your flipper." Peso swam to some seaweed. "But I don't think it's broken." Hugo knew Peso had become a doctor, but he didn't know he was that good.

The seaweed bandage did help. But, he also knew his father was watching this race. They needed to get out.

But, upon seeing Peso doing something so kind, despite all the torture Hugo put him through, was inspiring. He deserved that clam more than Hugo.

His father thought differently.

"How could you just give it up? It was in your grasp!"

"I've won it a million other times, Dad. One loss won't kill me." Hugo sighed, and carefully set an ice pack on his flipper.

"One little injury! What do we say? No pain, No gain!"

"I don't care. I've never gained anything other than what you wanted for me." Hugo shot back.

That was the last time they spoke. And Hugo had never felt so free.

Hugo leaned over the couch, watching Peso nap. He had to admit, this was pretty cute.

Peso yawned, and snuggled in further. Hugo had made him a make-shift nest out of a few blankets and pillows. It was comfy and safe, and Peso fell asleep instantly. Maybe, being babysat by Hugo wouldn't be so bad.

Hugo knew Peso would be hungry, so, while he napped, the taller penguin warmed up a bottle of milk, humming to himself. Peso rolled over, yawned, and sat up, cooing. Hugo smiled. it sounded like Peso was up.

He wasn't exactly sure what to do with a baby, but Peso certainly did. He latched onto the bottle, without any coaxing, and suckled. It was nice and warm, just the way it was supposed to be.

After being fed, Hugo set him down on the floor, and took some toys out of the baby bag. At first, peso didn't do anything. Then, he crawled up to Hugo, and tugged innocently on his leg. "Pway?"

"You want me to play with you?"

"Mm hmm."

They played a game of hide and seek. Hugo glanced under the table, wondering how a little guy could move away so fast.

"Waahh!" Hugo whirled around, and peered under the side table. He lifted the cloth, and there was Peso, wailing. He scooped him up, and held him close. "What's wrong, what's wrong?!" Peso held up his flipper, where a little splinter was sticking out. Hugo nuzzled him, and looked in the closet for a first aide kit.

When Peso saw the tweezers, he got nervous and shook his head.

"It's okay, Peso." Hugo assured, carefully taking his injured flipper. Peso whimpered.

"It's not going to hurt a bit." He patted Peso's head, hoping to reassure him. Peso burrowed into his chest.

"All done." The younger penguin blinked, and looked at his flipper. The splinter was gone, and, in it's place, a bunny band-aide. It didn't hurt at all!

Hugo laughed when Peso jumped up, and gave him a kiss. "Alright, alright." He chuckled, pulling him away.

Peso giggled, and settled in his lap. Hugo leaned back, and let Peso nestle against his chest. He'd never really thought about having a kid around. it was nice.

Peso snuggled against Hugo. He was so brave and gentle. He wondered why all the big guys were so kind and gentle, when the penguins his size always picked on him.

Barnacles followed Margret, uneasily. Peso's adoption was suddenly 'invalid,' meaning that a home inspection needed to be performed, and caring tactics needed to be observed.

They'd baby-proofed the ship, but Barnacles was still nervous. A house under the ocean probably wasn't the most safest place for a baby. And, Peso was fifteen, and they might not approve of the methods they used around here.

"What does the mother say?" Barnacles blinked, startled from his thoughts. "Peso's mother? She requested this of me."

"Job?"

"Her job? She works for an online clothing company. She makes the clothes." Margaret nodded, scribbling on her clipboard. "Any other children." Barnacles gulped. Would they need to take Pinto away?

"Two. One of them is in college, studying to be a lawyer."

"The other?"

"....kindergarten." Margaret pursed her lips, and scribbled something else.

"Reason for adoption?"

"Well...Peso was an abused child, and...well, with his mother so busy with her job, and with his little brother..."

"That's enough." Margaret turned towards a door. "This the kid's room?"

"Yes." The woman entered the room, and glanced around. Everything seemed in order. Padding on the floors, bars on the crib...basic nursery.

"What about that window?"

"Our engineer says it would take a force stronger than a garbage truck to bust it."

"What's these?"

"...books?"

"What's in here?"

"I'm not sure." Barnacles eyes the locked drawer. "That's whee Peso keeps his valuables, I believe."

"Stairs?"

"All the stairs have baby gates on them."

"What about the kitchen?"

"He's not allowed in the kitchen, bathroom or Launch Bay without adult supervision." Barnacles assured her. He decided not to say anything about the kidnapping. That had been the last time they let Peso out alone.

Barnacles laid on his bed, beyond nervous. The final ruling would come later that day, but it might as well have been an era. He loved Peso, and didn't want to see him taken away. He might end up with a family that didn't love him. Or didn't understand him. r he'd end up in an orphanage-!

"Captain!" He jumped out of his thoughts. "good grief, Dashi. You nearly gave me a heart attack!"

"I've been saying your name for three minutes now." Barnacles sighed. "I know," he relented, "I just..."

"I'm nervous too." Dashi put an arm around his shoulders. "I think the law is way too complicated."

Barnacles nodded, all the while looking at the clock. Why couldn't time go faster?!

"Approved." With that happy thought, Barnacles strolled down the streets of Whitewood, to pick Peso up. When he entered the house, Peso was happily scampering around, with Hugo after him. They were both laughing.

It had been a good day for everyone.