#1: Hidden In Plain Sight

August 7, 2018

Neveah's POV

Kareem helped Layla back in the bed, while Freddie and I stood by and watched. I still couldn't believe that she was alive. Rocko had did a number on her, she had cuts and bruises all over her body, she was missing a few tracks out her hair and her face was swollen. I almost didn't recognize Layla when I first saw her.

We eventually learned that Rocko, with help from his son Boogie,  dumped her off in field on the eastside of Riverborn, after beating on her repeatedly. She thought Boogie was going to shoot her but Rocko told him to leave her alone. Instead, they hopped back in the car and sped away.

Layla said as she fiddled with the thin gold bracelet around her wrist, the reason she was still alive was because her grandmother was watching over her and it was also a sign to stop messing with these grown ass men.

"Freddie can I talk to you for a second?" I stepped into the hallway.

Freddie followed me outside the room, "Wassup, babe?"

"What are we supposed to do now?" I lowered my voice so Kareem and Layla didn't hear me,  "How can we go looking for Athena and Layla is hurt? Look at her."

"We'll figure it out. Worst case scenario, she'll have to go to the hospital." He tucked his hands in his front pockets.

Kareem walked out the bedroom and closed the door behind him, "The hospital is a no go. The doctors will call the police after taking one look at her, she's fine here. I already made arrangements for someone to watch her while we're searching for your daughter."

"Arrangements?" Folding my arms, "How did you end up with Layla in the first place?"

"After leaving from seeing an old-time friend, I decided to take a different route back to the westside and came across a young woman crawling in the street, beaten and covered in blood. Being the gentleman that I am, I got out of the car and helped her."

"Why didn't you just take her to the hospital?" Freddie asked my next question.

"Outside of my reason, she didn't want to go, getting to her friend Neveah was more important. Once, I got her back here, I called this guy I used when going to the hospital was too risky. He's certified and everything, a real genuine guy. He cleaned and wrapped her wounds and gave her some fluids and pain medication to keep her comfortable, he will be looking after while we searched for Athena. It's going to cost me a pretty penny but anything for a friend of my daughter."

"If she didn't know me, would you have still helped her?"

"Yeah, she just wouldn't be here."

"If anything happens to Layla..."

"I can assure you that Layla is safe and will continue to be safe." He held his hands up in defense.

We all walked back downstairs to figure out the first steps in saving Athena. It's been almost twenty- four hours since I've seen or held her. I missed her smile, with the two teeth at the top and bottom,  and her scent. I reached in my bag and pulled out her shirt and inhaled the scent on it.

It finally happened.

My worst fear had come true.

My baby has been taken from me.

I dropped down to the floor and curled into a fetal position and let out a scream that only a hurting mother would know.

          Freddie ran over to me to console me the best way he could. He said to me, as he rocked me in his arms. "We're going to find her. I promise. "