#40: New Beginnings

10:15 p.m.| Neveah Greene's POV

            We're about 45 minutes out from Las Vegas and I was ready to climb in a tub and bathe. As I stare out of the small window, I silently pray that things will be better for Athena and me. My baby girl deserves a happy childhood. I don't want her growing up with trauma from the last year. She probably won't remember it. That'll be a blessing.  I rub her cheek while she lies curled up in Freddie's arms and I do the same to him. They both squirm a little bit but stay asleep. I wondered how I was going to enroll in school, I'll probably have to get a fake ID and everything.

            No more Neveah Greene.

            Maybe we should've returned to Riverborn, but they would've taken Freddie from me...from us. No.

            I can let Neveah go. Neveah has been through a lot.

            Kareem walks past and sits in the empty seat across from me, "How you holdin' up, baby girl?"

            "I'm doing okay. Ready to shower and get out of these clothes." I pull at my grimy t-shirt.

            "I called ahead and made arrangements to have clothes delivered to your hotel room." He tells me.

            "A hotel?" I question, confused. I mean, I had no issue with it but why.

            "At least for tonight. I need to talk to Angel about ya'll living at the house and I wanted to give ya'll a night to yourselves."

            That was fine with me. If I was Angel and my husband was coming home with four additional people. I would have many questions. My mind goes straight to the worst outcome. What if she tells him no and we have to find somewhere else to go? I didn't have a job and no money and Freddie; he might have money but it's in Riverborn.

            "Don't worry about her saying no, baby girl. Angel is one of the good ones." He assures me. "She will understand."

            "I hope," I murmur.

            We sit in silence for a minute. Me, looking out into the darkness and Kareem staring at his hands like he was in deep thought."

            "I want to talk to you about something else." He says.

            I didn't like the sound of where this was going.

            "You have an uncle." He comes out with it.

            An uncle.

            Kareem continues, "His name is Ares Brown but goes by Detective Mark Samson."

            He's a detective. This just got wild.

            Kareem goes on to tell me that Poppa Brown wanted nothing to do with Ares and his mother and neither did Kareem. On the day of Poppa Brown's funeral, Kareem disowned Ares in front of his close friends and family members.

The embarrassment.

That was the last time they saw one another. When they did reconnect and he found out that Ares was a detective, using the identity of Mark Samson to hide who he truly is. His partner, Yolanda helped Kareem escape but, in the process, she tarnished her name and partnership with Ares. She went back to Riverborn to deal with him.  He hasn't heard from her since.

            "Is he still in Riverborn?" I ask out of curiosity.

            "To my knowledge he is. Yolanda might have found him, or she might have found herself in police custody."