#35: The Past Always Comes Back to Bite

12:15 PM | Yolanda Turner's POV

Logan's Coney Island, Riverborn, MI

It's crazy how I can stare into the eyes of my old partner and don't recognize him. I fight back the feeling of anger and the thoughts of him playing me and the department for a fool for all these years.

Wrapping my hands around the coffee mug slowly, I take a sip of the hot beverage, enjoying the warm liquid streaming down my throat, easing my frustration.

"I thought you were dead," he says while rubbing his left index finger over his right thumb.

I learned a long time ago that he does this motion when he's anxious.

With the mug still at my lips, I smile, "Wouldn't that have worked out in your favor."

He drops eye contact and looks away, then clears his throat and asks, "What do you want Yolanda?" returning his gaze to me.

"I want to hear it from the horse's mouth. Are. You. Kareem's. Brother?"

He stares a hole into me.

Anticipation rises as I await his answer.

He releases a deep breath, "Yes, I'm Kareem's brother...Well, half-brother. Same father, different mother."

"And is your real name Ares Brown?" I pushed.

He nods his head yes.

"Why did you change it?"

"You really think they would have let me be a detective if they knew I was the son of Papa Brown."

I shrug, "Why not walk in your father's footsteps? Kareem did." I took another sip.

"And look where's that gotten him and plus, Papa Brown wanted nothing to do with me or my mother. We weren't even allowed at the man's funeral thanks to Kareem. He wanted nothing to do with me either. Didn't want the city to know that his father had another son." He huffed. "I realized early on that the only thing I gained from being the son of a drug lord was problems and a short lifespan."

Listening to Ares's story had me thinking about my own relationship with my parents. For the most part, my parents and I got along. My mother and I had our differences of course and I was always daddy's little girl. When I joined the police force back in Chicago, my mother went feral. In her world, a woman's place was not out fighting crime but being at home, taking care of the family.

That wasn't the life I wanted for myself. Constantly cooking and cleaning after other people. Ugh!

My late father supported my decision. He knew that we are in a different time and that a woman's place is not just limited to the kitchen, and he also knew that his only daughter was not made for the stay-at-home wife life.

They argued about my decision for a good week before my mother got over her feelings. On the day of my graduation from the police academy, they were both in the stands, cheering for me.

"What made you turn on me? On the department?" Ares brings my focus back on him.

"That's none of your concern." I take another sip of my coffee. I had my reasons or so I thought. Deep down, I was tired of being downplayed and not taken seriously. I was a damn good detective, but I was constantly overshadowed by others including Ares.

Ares opens his jacket and retrieves his cell phone, "Fine, then you can tell the captain why you did it."

I reach across the table and place my hand over his, "Wait!" I spoke. "I thought I could use Kareem to get to Zeus." It wasn't a lie, but it wasn't the truth either.