#14: House Full Of Secrets

11:11am | Greene's Residence

Homicide Detective Samson's POV

After fifteen years of being a Homicide Detective, you get used to seeing a lot of shit. Drive-by shootings, domestic violence cases and sadly child abuse cases that all end in murder. But there was always this one cold case that haunted to me til this day.

Dominic "Domino" Kane. On the late night of May 29, 2015, I and my partner at the time, Lt. Darrell Barry responded to an emergency call. An African American male was found lying on his stomach with half his head blown off. Once we learned that it was Dominic Kane, the biggest drug kingpin in Riverborn since Papa Brown. We knew shit was about to hit the fan and we were right. By the next morning, three more bodies were discovered dead in a burnt-up car, in a field on the eastside. Over the course of three weeks, seventy people were killed in multiple shootings, including three innocent children. After their deaths, the killings subsided.

The response from the community was mixed. While others were happy that Dominic was dead. The few that were blessed by him were stricken with grief. Even though he provided the poison to the community, he always provided a cure for them.

Darrell and I worked endless hours, searching through evidence, and talking to potential witnesses but everything came back to a dead end. It wasn't until six months after his murder, that a witness by the name of Reggie "Blackwood" Mansfield came forth and said he saw someone dressed in all black, face covered in a ski mask, approach Dominic from behind with a rifle and blow his head off before making a run for it down a dark alley. Even with the description, it wasn't enough to identify a suspect.

The case ended up going cold the following year.

One thing that I did applaud Dominic on, was how well he kept his real mother hidden before and after his death. The woman who came to identify his body had all the information needed for the body to be released. She explained to us that she lived in another state and never knew what Dominic was up too. The performance she gave Darrell, and I deserved an Oscar award.

Tap...Tap...Tap...

Rolling down my window, "Any particular reason why you're tapping on my window, Officer Hudson." I asked.

"Yeah, are we going in or not?" He checked the time on his watch. "Lunch time coming up." He tapped on the watch face. "I'm going on sixteen hours here and I'm starving."

"Yeah, we going in." I answered while putting out my cigarette in the ashtray.

One of these days I will quit.

Exiting out of the car, I straighten out the wrinkles in my suit and scanned the surrounding area. The elderly neighbors that lived in the apartment building next door, sat on their balconies watching our every move. Neighbors like those, I enjoyed because they see everything. I gave them a gentle wave and followed Officer Hudson and three others towards the Greene's residence. At first notice, the mail on the ground hasn't been collected in a few days and there wasn't a vehicle in the driveway. A couple kids around the age of thirteen, were standing in a group a few feet over. I asked them, have they seen the people who lived in the house. All of them shook their head no and quickly made their way back to the apartment building. Not surprised by their response. Their parents would come out yelling at them if they found them talking to the police.

Hudson says randomly while walking up the pathway, "My partner and I was just on this street a week ago, dealing with a domestic violence dispute in that apartment building. The man who called got his ass whooped by his girl." He laughed. "She caught him cheating with her cousin, who stayed a few floors down."