#2: The Waiting Game

"Neveah, don't play with me."

"Does it look like I'm playing with you? Look, all I'm saying is that she might be your mother based off the stories you and Boogie told me. I could be wrong but then again, if she is, how are you going to handle it?"

          Freddie answered staring at the ground, "I don't know. I've been angry at her for as long as I can remember. Do you know how fucked up it is to see other kids laughing and playing with their moms? My pops, he tried to make it work with whatever chick he was dealing with at the time, but they barely wanted to be mothers to their own kids." He huffed.

          "At least hear what she has to say. I know she was on drugs but give her chance. Hell, I'm giving Kareem a chance."

          "We'll see."

I left Freddie to himself and went to go check on Layla. The doctor was sitting next her, reading a book. He glanced up and gave me a genuine smile, "Everything okay?"

          "Yeah, just seeing how she is."

          "This young lady is a trooper I'll tell you that."

          "You ain't never lied."

          Freddie called for me and I politely excused myself to see what he wanted. Reaching the top of the stairs, I saw Freddie taking the bag of food from Kareem then heading back to the living room.

          "Hear anything?" I asked walking down the stairs.

          Taking a seat across from Freddie, "Nahhh, nobody's talking."

          "Well, I might have put something together while you were gone." I eyed Freddie.

          "Oh yeah?"

          "That Sabrina woman  might also be Freddie's mother." I revealed to him.

Kareem asked with a raised eyebrow, "Are you sure?"

"It's a possibility, Do you remember Domino dating a Sabrina back then?"

"Honestly, Domino dated a lot of women back then. Too many to keep up with."

          "Did any of them claimed to have his child."

          "Sweetheart, a lot of chicks claimed Domino to be the father of their kids." He laughed. "Domino loved the ladies."

          "You never lied about that." Freddie commented.

          "Did he have any favorites though?"

          Kareem thought about the question for a minute before he answered, "It was this one chick Domino would go see after we would return from our Miami trips. What was her name?" He snapped his fingers, trying to remember, "I think he called her Strawberry."

          "Strawberry? You never heard her real name?"

          "Nah, he never said their real names only referred to them by their nicknames. His way of not getting caught up"

          "If you saw her, you'll be able to recognize her though?"

          "Maybe." Kareem then reached into the plastic bag and pulled out a white container, "I got you the supreme breakfast."

          "Perfect." I grabbed the container of food out of his hand.

          We sat and watched reruns of  Martin while we ate, at times I would  glance over at Freddie, twiddling away on his cellphone.