#33: Don't Bite The Hand That Feeds You

It was hard to describe the feeling once Athena was in my arms with her head lying on my shoulder. Zeus tried to keep my daughter from me. He wanted to get rid of me and raise her in this hell. Hell would freeze first. I prop Athena on my hip and told her that we were going to play the silent game. The rule is to be extremely quiet, or we'll get caught by Zeus's evil men. She was excited to play, clapping and jumping in my arms. I raise my finger to my lips, signaling for her to be quiet now. I reach for the doorknob but stop when I saw it turning.

The door opens.

"Mateo?" I held Athena closer to my chest.

He quickly enters the room and shuts the door behind him, locking it. I silently cuss myself out for not locking the door. I wasn't sure if I could trust him, so I created some distance between us.

He faces me and Athena, "What the hell are you doing?"

"What it look like I'm doing? I'm getting the hell outta here with my daughter." I raise my voice.

"Lower your tone, Zeus's minions are close by. You lucky one of them didn't spot you."

"I can't just sit here and wait anymore, Mateo," I say.

He wasn't trying to hear it.

I attempt to walk past him, but he blocks my way out. "Move."

"I can't do that. I can't let you leave." He argues.

"Mateo, please move," I beg.

He continues to stand his ground.

I was becoming frustrated with him and so was Athena. "Why are you helping him? Zeus is a monster."

Mateo ran his hand across his fresh haircut. "You're only going to make this worse for you, Neveah."

"I don't care!" I shout.

Silence fills the room.

"If you're not going to help us, then you might as well kill us," I said with seriousness.

Mateo stares into my eyes, searching for bullshit. He then shifts his attention between Athena and me, debating on what he should do. I pray he made the right decision and helped us. If not, at least I would die with my daughter.

"Alright, Alright. I'll help you." He finally agrees.

I hug Athena, trying to contain my excitement. We finally had a way out of here.

Mateo removes his pistol from his waistband. "Stay close and stay quiet." He whispers as he unlocks and opens the door.

"Remember Athena, quiet game."

Mateo exits the bedroom first. He checks the halls, making sure the coast was clear. He then motions for me to follow him down the long hallway. My heart is pounding in my chest with each step I take. Holding my breath periodically as I listen for any noise outside of our own. I was afraid that we were going to get caught or worse. I constantly check behind me, insuring myself that nobody was following us.

"Where are we going?" I whisper.

"Zeus has a truck parked out front. I have the key." He says, dangling the fob key in the air.

I sigh with relief.

There was a vehicle.

We weren't escaping on foot.

"Any word on Freddie?" I then ask him.

"No," Mateo responds dryly.

            Disappointment sets in.