Epilogue

Saturday, August 25, 2018
Mateo's POV
Zeus Mendez's Ranch, Larue, Texas

            Darkness surrounded me as I sit with my knees to my chest on the cold concrete floor, water falling from the ceiling creates the only sound that invades the small space. I was tired and my body ached. I didn't know the time or day. This cell didn't offer me the luxury of windows. All I knew is that I'd been in here for days. After returning to the ranch, Zeus made an example out of me in front of his men. He took it upon himself to personally beat me until I could barely stand on my own two feet. If that wasn't enough, he ordered his men to toss me in the same cell that held Neveah. I was only given limited food and water to last me the whole day.

One bottle of water and a sandwich.

The only reason he didn't put a bullet in my head and toss me in the lake was because of my deceased mother.

Do I regret helping Neveah?

No.

She didn't deserve to be here nor did her daughter. I wasn't fond of Freddie and honestly, couldn't understand what Neveah saw in him. Even still, I never told Zeus their location. He took that personally.

Zeus never takes a loss, and this was a smack to the face.

I chuckle at the thought.

It's crazy...I miss Neveah. She got on my nerves, but I do miss her. She wasn't afraid to stand up on her own and the determination she had to save her daughter made me like her even more. Most people would have given up.

I've seen it.

The sound of the metal door unlocking grabs my attention. They haven't opened my cell since they brought me in here. They would just slide my food through the hatch at the bottom. The door fully opens, and I'm blinded by the bright lights.

"Your uncle wants to speak with you." It took a minute to recognize who's voice. It was Vander, one of my uncle's toy soldiers. He stands at the entrance with his arms folded across his chest.

I rose to my feet and stagger to him. He pinches his nose and mumbles his disgust for my body odor in Spanish. When I get into the light, I can see how filthy I am. I was covered in dirt and dried blood and reeked of piss and shit.

This was unlike me. I took pride in my appearance.

Vander escorts me to a spare bedroom with an adjacent bathroom. He orders me to shower and be dressed in twenty minutes.

Now that I think about it, I can't believe I gave Neveah that same order.

He then informs me that he will be waiting outside the spare bedroom and to knock when I'm ready.

            I use the little energy I had left to shower and get dressed. I threw on the white t-shirt, pair of jeans, and sneakers they had laid out for me.  Just like he said, Vander was waiting outside the door when I knocked. I follow him to the backyard. Across the pool, Zeus is seated at the Gazebo, puffing on a Cuban cigar, surrounded by five gunmen with automatic rifles. Twenty more roamed the outside area. I noticed the spread of food on the table from across the pool, and it takes everything in me to not run over there and stuff my face. Instead, I keep my pace in front of Vander. I don't want to give him or any of the gunmen a reason to put me down. I'm sure they're enjoying this as much as Zeus. None of them liked me but had to take orders from me because I'm Zeus's nephew.

            We make it to the table and my stomach is turning in knots from the different smells of food that invade my nose.

            "Mi sobrino, it's good to see you." Zeus smiles with the cigar pinched between his teeth.

            Likewise.

            "Have a seat. I'm sure you're starving."

            I take my seat across from him and try to keep my focus on him and not on the stacks of pancakes sitting in front of me but that wasn't working.

            "Go on and make yourself a plate, Sobrino."

            I hungrily stack my plate to the brim with food and poured myself a tall glass of orange juice. I gulped it down with quickness and poured another because I was that damn thirsty. Zeus watched me the whole time, puffing smoke from his cigar. He doesn't speak again until I take the first bite of my food.

            "You have disappointed me, Sobrino, and have brought shame to this family."

            I wouldn't be the first to do it and surely won't be the last.

            "I know," I respond before biting into the buttered white toast.

            He puffs from his cigar and then says, "There's a way you can redeem yourself and not bring more disgrace to this family."

            My ears perked. I swallowed my mushed toast and continue to listen. Getting back on Zeus's good side meant I had to do something I wasn't going to like.

            He smirks and says, "I see that I have your attention."

            I nod.

            "I found Kareem and his little family." He reveals to me.

            Fuck!

            He waits for a moment, studying my face.

            He continues, "They're living in Las Vegas. One of my sources shared with me that they flew in last Friday night. I'm sending a few of my men there and I want you to join them."

            "What is that you want me to do? You have your men going."

            Zeus smiles sneakily, "I know but I want you to kill Kareem and his family. Each. And. Every. One. Of. Them. Those men are around to make sure you do what you're told. You kill Kareem and his family, and I'll forget all about your betrayal."

            He's lying Zeus never forgets who betrays him.

            "Do we have a deal?" he extends his right hand for me to shake. I stare at it for a moment, unsure of what to do. If I don't take it, I'll go back to that cell and be starved. If I do take the deal, I have to kill Neveah and everyone she loves.

            Fuck.

            Making my decision, I shake Zeus's hand reluctantly. "Yeah, we got a deal."

            "Good. Your flight to Las Vegas leaves in the morning." Zeus rises to his feet and walks to my side. He places his large hand on my shoulder. "Don't disappoint me again, Sobrino. I will kill you and deal with the wrath of my dead sister...happily."

To be continued...