#38: The Proposition

Yolanda's POV
Riverborn Police Department, Riverborn, MI

Three hours before...

            I'm not surprised that Ares took off. He knew it was a wrap as soon as they brought me in custody. My interrogators have been relentless. Questioning me about Ares's whereabouts as I would know. If he didn't trust me with his true identity, what made them think he was going to trust me with the secret location.

            Do I still think he's in Riverborn, possibly, but not for long.

Grrr.... Fuck, I haven't eaten all day. They have been withholding food from me since I won't give them any answers.

            "Shut up," I told my stomach. Lord knows I could go for a good ass burger from Coney.

            The door behind me suddenly opens and the aroma of food hit my nose.

Have my prayers been answered?

My stomach goes into overdrive from the tease. Cap steps in front of me with a Styrofoam container in his hand.

            With a raised brow, "Is that for me?"

            "Depends. Are you going to tell me where Mark is?"

            "His name is Ares, and like I told you the other hundred times. I. Don't. Know."

            Cap places the container on the table, in front of him. "This doesn't have to be difficult, Yolanda. Just tell me where he is, and we can work something out about the charges against you. Doesn't that sound good?"

            He's going for the jugular here. Nice.

            I lean forward on my elbows, "The deal sounds nice but as I stated before. I don't know where Ares is."

            Cap sighs frustratedly, pinching the bridge of his nose.

            Tilting my head to the side, "Have you talked to his child's mother?"

            Cap doesn't answer.

            "You might want to talk to her. If anybody knows where he might be, it's her."

            Cap stares at me sternly, he then shoves the container my way and storms out the door.

            A smirk appears as I grab the container and open it.

            Ohhh, my God! I inhaled the aroma. Opening the container, a bacon cheeseburger with fries welcomed me. If I had a large Coke, this meal would've been perfect. Without a second thought, I indulged myself in heaven, savoring the taste of the juicy meat. There's nothing like a good Coney Island burger. If I had to guess, he ordered from the coney spot down the street.

            A couple of minutes later, the door reopens. "If came here to take my food back, you're going to be disappointed." I bit into a fry.

            "We're not here for food." A raspy voice says to me. I turn my head and face three uniformed officers, who have made their distaste for me known since I've been here. I close the container and push it away from me.

            "Well, gentlemen it's lovely seeing you three." I sarcastically say with a smile.

            Officer Russo, steps in front of me, his hand gripping the chair in front of him until his knuckles turn white. His combover was messy and the bags under his blue eyes showed the lack of sleep. Turning to my left, Officer Roberts stands by me with his chest poked out.