#24: Incahoots

1:10 pm | Southwest Riverborn, MI

Kareem's POV

Eleven hours into my seventy-two-hour time limit, we were hauled up in a two-star motel room in Southwest, waiting on confirmation that the hideout is ready. The individual who would be hosting informed us to wait a few hours because there was a heavy police presence near the house. I sat on the edge of the bed thinking about my family back in Vegas. I knew Angel was on edge and Halo wasn't making any better for her, probably asking her about me every ten minutes. Before I left, we sat and discussed what the plan was if I didn't return. Angel hated these discussions, she says that I'm speaking things into existence when I talk about the what if but where I come from, it's called being prepared.

            Twenty minutes prior, AB sent two guards to Arnaldo's for some tacos and burritos. My stomach was anticipating the taste of an Arnaldo spicy chicken taco. I haven't had one in years.

            "So, Kareem, you think you be able to kill Rocko and save your family?" AB asked, snatching me out of my thoughts.

            "Damn, you doubting me already, AB? I thought we were better than that."

            He smirks and says. "Confidence. That's good to have in a man."

            A sudden knock brought our attention to the door, AB peeked out the window and said, "It's Julio and Martinez." He stood up to go let them in.

            Julio and Martinez walked into the room laughing with food and drinks in their hand.

            "What took ya'll so long?" AB snatched the bags out of their hand and placed them on the table beside him.

            "It was a lunch rush."

            AB eyes them both suspiciously before checking the contents of the bags. Reaching inside, he pulls out four, large chicken burritos and four soft tacos. He hands us one of each and then takes a seat back at the table. Julio walks over to me and hands me a water bottle.

            I nodded thankfully, "Gracias."

            I slowly unraveled the aluminum wrapper and inhaled the scent of Arnaldo's infamous burrito. The last time I got to enjoy this deliciousness was the day before I got arrested and spent thirteen years behind bars. I vividly remember Tammy crying because she wanted tacos, but she was at work. I drove from the eastside to the southwest and then dropped them off in the suburbs. Ignoring the dangerous fact that my L's were suspended at the time. I risked a lot of Tammy back in the day and never regretted it. the only thing I regret is not being there for her and Neveah after I was released.

            "Damn, Ese' you starving ain't you?" Julio laughed as he watched me bawl the aluminum wrapper and shoot it in the trash basket.

"Kobe!" I shouted when I made the shot.

The sound of AB's cellphone ringing made me pause from eating. wiping my mouth, a napkin, I ear-hustled on AB's conversation. "Alright, we'll be there shortly." He says before ending the call. He hangs up the phone, "Coast is clear. We can head out in thirty minutes."

            We hurried up and finished our food then quickly gathered our belongings. Julio and Martinez went to go check us out of the motel, while AB escorted me to the black SUV parked in the back of the parking lot. He pulls a black zip tie out of his pocket and ties my wrist together in front of me.

            "You just keep a pack of those in your back pocket?"

            "Only on special occasions. He smiles. Opening the door, "Get in and be quiet."