#20: Born Legend

5:00pm | Houston, Texas

Neveah's POV

            "You sure you know what you're doing?" Kareem asked from the drivers seat.

            "Yeah, I know what I'm doing." I answered, staring down at the shipping box that contained all the evidence I had against Rocko.

            After not hearing from Freddie since ten o' clock this morning. I began preparing myself for the worst. I asked Kareem to take me to the nearest post office. If I didn't make out alive in all of this, my voice was still going to be heard. Rocko will be punished for what he's done to me.

            Kareem and I returned to the safe house within thirty minutes with food in tow. I found a nice movie for us to watch while we ate our burgers and fries.

Kareem's cellphone began buzzing on the table, interrupting the first scene.

            "Who is that?" I asked.

            Kareem picked the phone off the table and says, "It's Doc." He placed the phone on speaker and says, "What's good, Doc?"

            "I hate to the bearer of bad news, but the young lady has left and went home. Before you say anything, I tried to talking her out of it, but it was no use. She insisted she get home to her mother."

            "What happened?" I asked.

            "She was reported missing by her family and friends. They have the guy who was last seen with her, Rocko Hendrix."

            I guess I mailed that box off at the right time. Luckily paid for overnight shipping.

            The call quickly ended between Kareem and the Doc. I could read the uncertain look on my father's face.

            "I can't expect your friend to keep her mouth shut. Police are going to be asking her a million questions about her whereabouts."

            "Don't give up on Layla just yet." I said, "I'm sure she will still hold us down. Without our help, she would've been dead by now."

                        Over the next three hours, Kareem and I waited on a call from Freddie. In the middle of us watching Low Down Dirty Shame, somebody knocked on the front door.

            Thinking that it's Freddie, I jumped up and ran to the door, and opened it. Standing on the porch were Violet's bodyguards from earlier, dressed in all black attire. In their hands were deadly assault rifles pointed right at me. If I made one reckless move, that was it for what I called life.

            Before I could get a word out, the curly haired guard bullied me back in the house. Kareem quickly reached for his pistol that was on the table and aimed it at them.

            "Put your gun down!" curly hair ordered.

            "No!" Kareem responded.

            The buzz cut one aimed his rifle at me, "Put it down or I'll paint this house with her blood."

            Without hesitation, Kareem slowly placed his gun back on the table. Curly hair snatched it off the table and tucked it behind him.

            What is going on? I asked myself.

            "Get your ass on the couch." Buzz cut ordered me.

            I staggered onto my feet and then walked over to the couch and took a seat next Kareem. We were then ordered to put duct tape on our mouths and zip tie our wrists. Once that was done, we waited for what was going to happen next.