#22: A Rookie Mistake

2:30am | Pinecrest Apartments
Homicide Detective Turner's POV

            After a long workday, I was finally back at my downtown apartment. Instead of a man waiting up for me, it was my two-year-old cat, Binx. She purred and rubbed against my leg as I walked through the door. I placed my belongings on the chair and then picked my baby up to give her some loving. "I missed you so much." I kissed her furry cheeks. "Momma needs a drink." I said walking towards my mini bar. Binx jumped out of my arms and went on about her business. I poured myself a Jack Daniels on the rocks and took a sip. I was blessed to have my apartment was on the seventeenth floor, so I had a perfect view of the city. For a moment, I wondered what my life would have been like had I not join the police force and becoming a detective. Probably running around after kids and hating my husband because he couldn't do the simplest shit unless he was told. I finished my first drink of the night and walked back to the bar to pour me another one to enjoy while I soaked in the tub. 

            Since Samson and I picked up these cases, my stress level has risen, and I haven't had that much time to focus on my selfcare which was starting to affect me mentally, and that I couldn't let happen.

            "Alexa! play some R&B music."

            "At Your Best" by Aaliyah began playing through the speakers in the bathroom. I stripped down to my birthday suit and slowly stepped into my bubble bath. The calming smell of lavender filled my nostrils as I slid down into the tub. I've been waiting for this moment because I deserved it after the couple of days I've had. With Rocko behind bars we were finally going to get some answers.

            Forty-five minutes later, I stepped out the tub and wrapped my body in a towel. Mr. Jack Daniels had me buzzing just right. I was a lightweight when it came to alcohol. The only time I drank was at home. I didn't trust myself drinking anywhere else.  Even though it was late, and I was buzzed, I still wanted to go over Kareem's file before I called it a night. Within in minutes, I was moisturized and dressed in a big t-shirt and some Savage x Fenty panties. Binx was laid up on her tower sleeping by the patio window. Instead of pouring another Jack Daniels on the rocks, I made some hot lemon and honey tea to bring my buzz down.

            "Alexa! Turn off speaker." I yelled as I took a seat on my plush sectional couch. I reached inside my work bag and pulled out the folders that contained Kareem's files and then spread them across the glass table.

Kareem Robert Brown was born on March 31, 1978, in Riverborn, Michigan. He was described as an African- American male, standing at six-foot-two and weighed over two-hundred pounds. A specialist within the department observed the surveillance videos and estimated that the suspect's height was around six feet and weighed about two-hundred pounds. He is dark-skinned with a low haircut and stubble beard. He had no distinctive scars or tattoos on his body. In 2000, he was charged with possession of guns and drugs and served thirteen years behind bars. After his release from prison, he relocated to Las Vegas and started a new life.

            "Why would you come back to Riverborn and kill two detectives?" I asked out loud.

If I  had just did thirteen years, I'm doing everything in my power not to return to prison.

            Suddenly, my cellphone began vibrating loudly in my bag. Reaching inside, I pulled out my cellphone and looked at the caller ID. It was Samson calling. 

            "This better be good." I answered yawning. "I was about to lay down."

            "You're not going to bed after what I tell you." He says to me.