#9: A Web Of Crimes

7PM

Riverborn Police Precinct

Homicide Detective Turner's POV

Thirteen hours into our shift, we were back at the precinct going over other evidence and Kandace Baron's statement; because she was able to identify Rocko as one of our suspects and gave us his actual name, I was able to look him up in our database.

I typed Rakim Hendrix into the search bar of the NCIC (National Crime Information Center). Seconds later, a page with five individuals with the same name appeared on my screen. I started going through each profile one by one matching the mugshot picture with the screenshot I had on hand. The first four profiles were no match. I clicked on the last individual named Rakim Bokeem Hendrix, it took everything in me not to jump in my chair when the picture expanded on my screen.

We have a match!

          His criminal record wasn't lengthy like I expected but he had a few charges I couldn't look over. In the late 1980s, he was charged with 4th degree criminal sexual conduct with a minor. He served two years in Lamon County Jail. Three after he was released, he was charged with aggravated assault against his female landlord and possession of a narcotic. He served 3.5 years in jail and addition six months of probation. A man's relationship with women said a lot about who he was and from of the looks of it, he didn't like being back talked by women. Recalling my encounter with him, when I turned him down, he called out my name. A flip switches when he doesn't get his way.

          Checking other sources of public records, I came across a marriage certificate in his name.

"What woman was crazy enough to marry this man?" I asked under my breath.

In April 2015, he married a woman named Tamera Greene.

           "Tamara Greene." I repeated out loud. Trying to remember where I heard that name from. I entered her information into the DMV and pulled up her driver's license information. As soon as I saw her face, I sadly remembered who this beautiful woman was. SLAIN RIVERBORN HOSPITAL NURSE FOUND SLAINED IN TRUCK read the news headlines. I was assigned to another case at the time but recalled hers vividly. She was shot inside her truck multiple times by an unknown suspect. "Samson, you remember the Tamera Greene murder case from a few months ago?"

          "Yeah, the whole department was talking about it for a week." He answered never looking up from the computer screen. "The few witnesses that were around said they saw a dark colored car approach her vehicle on the driver's side. Next thing they knew, they heard heavy gunfire and were ducking for cover."

          "Who was assigned to that case?" I asked tapping the end of pen on the desk.

          "Homicide Detectives Russell & Wilmore."

          I checked the clock on the wall, and it was ten minutes after seven. I urgently got up from my desk to check to see if they were still in the precinct. Those two were known to hit the bar downtown after their shift. I found Russell still sitting at his desk, closing out his computer. Wilmore was nowhere in site. Which worked in my favor, Wilmore had Russell on a tight leash when it came to speaking about their cases.

          "Heyyy, Russell." I smiled, leaning over his cubicle.

          Russell glanced up at me confused as to why I was speaking to him. On a normal day, we didn't speak. He turned his back to see if Wilmore was in the vicinity and with a lowered tone he asked, "How can I help you, LT. Turner?"

          "I have quick question about the Tamera Greene case that you guys have been working on."

          "We're not on that case anymore." He says before checking again to see if Wilmore was coming.