#39: Partners in Crime

7:45 p.m. | Ares's Brown POV
Location: Bloomfield, Michigan

            Tucked away in the woods, I hid out on my grandmother's property until nightfall. My handsome face is currently being plastered all over the news. The words WANTED are big and bold under my photograph.

            At least they used a good picture. I took a swig of my cold beer.

            The next breaking story has me sitting up in my seat. Yolanda's face is being showcased right next to mine.

            "What the fuck?" I thought they had her in custody. How did she get out? I turn the volume up on the television when the scene changes to the front of my baby momma's house. A young female officer sits in the back of an ambulance being checked by paramedics. Cap is in the distance talking to other officers. He looks pissed. I would be too; his job is on the line now.

            I downed the rest of my beer and then tossed it in the nearby trash. Snatching one of the duffel bags from around my chair, I unzipped the bag and checked the contents for the millionth time. Fifteen thousand dollars cash sits neatly inside. Along with it, is my new identity. The other bag contained my clothes. I planned to get far away from Michigan as possible. I might go South but that's so cliché, that'll be one of the first places they will look for me. A lightbulb suddenly goes off in my head.

            That was the perfect location.

            With a long night of driving ahead of me, a nap was calling my name. I set an alarm on my phone for 11 p.m. and placed it on the coffee table, right next to my pistol.

            My eyes weren't closed for five minutes before I heard faint knocking at my front door.

            I sat up and listened closely because I thought I was tripping.

            I hear it again. This time in a distinctive pattern.

            My irises widen. 

            I grab my gun from the coffee table and slowly rise from my seat. Peaking around the corner, I spot Yolanda standing at the front door.

            What the hell is she doing here?

            Not trusting the situation, I aim my pistol at her, "What are you doing here, Yolanda?"

            She raises her hands to show that she was unarmed. "Are you serious right now? Ares, put the gun down and open the door."

            I slowly continue my approach, "Leave."

            "Ares, I'm here to help you." She says.

            I don't believe her. In her journal, she told me 'It's my life over yours.' And now, coincidently she's at my front door.

            "I don't want to hurt you. Leave now." I bark, gripping tightly around my gun. I didn't. We have history.

            "I'm not leaving." Damn, this woman is stubborn.

            I lowered my gun a little once we became face to face, the front door being the only barrier between us. The state of Yolanda's face took me by surprise.

            Who hit her?

            "Yeah, I know I look like shit." She glances away, hiding. "Let me in and I'll tell you all about it."

            "Are you armed?"

            She nods yes.

            "Handover your gun and I'll let you in." She huffs and rolls her eyes, but she eventually hands it to me through the crack. I her gun in my waistband and step aside so she could enter. She immediately takes in the place.