#5: No Loyalty Implies No Purpose

Three Days Later

Riverborn, Michigan

Rocko's POV

Shit! My fucking side is killing me. I woke up from excruciating pain. How long have I been out? I searched around the dark room, trying to remember where I was. I didn't know the time or the day. I laid in a Queen-sized bed, shirtless with a bandage wrapped around my abdomen and bicep. I reached over to the nightstand and turned the table lamp on. I laid my head back on the pillow, trying to recalculate the last couple of days. After a few minutes, it all came back to me.

"That son of a bitch." I banged my fist on the bed, realizing Kareem was the one that shot me. As I was running away, I turned around and saw him, dressed in his infamous all black. He walked through the field like he owned the place. I should've known he was still in the area, after leaving the spray-painted message at my house. "Argh!" I grimaced in pain, as I gently touched my right side. I tossed the sheet off me slowly and turned myself so I could I get out of the bed.

I had to see how bad the damage was, if I could get up and walk then I was good to go. It was only a matter of time before she returned and started asking me questions on how all this transpired.

"Come on, Rocko." I braced myself to stand up. One. Two. Three. I stood up on both feet and took my first step with my right foot and then my left. It hurt to walk but I was grateful that I was still able to. I found some clean clothes neatly folded on the chair in front of the bed and a pair of shoes.

Me getting shot, threw a huge wrench in my plans. Instead of making my way to meet Sabrina and Athena, I was bleeding and limping my way through the woods. Luckily, I came across the backyard of an older woman I helped from time to time after the death of her husband. She was in her backyard gardening when I stumbled upon her property covered in blood. Without question, she helped me into her home and began tending to my wounds. I knew I was in good hands; Mrs. Craig was a retired Trauma Surgeon. One thing about me if I was going to be helping you had to be good for something just in case, I needed you in return.

Getting dressed seemed like a marathon. This is going to be harder than I thought.

I found my way back to bed so I could catch my breath. I suddenly heard faint footsteps coming from down the hall until they got closer to the door. She knocked gently and then opened the door.

"I see you're up...and dressed." She reacted surprised. In her hand, she had two small plastic cups. Mrs. Craig never told me her age, if saw her walking on the street you would think she's in her mid- thirties. I would mess with her by guessing her age, looking at her expression to see if I were right.

She was dressed in blue scrubs and Crocs; her long dark brown hair was pinned up in a bun. "You've been out since you got here. I've been coming in from time to time to make sure that you're doing okay. I managed to get the bullet out of your arm and the bullet only grazed you on your side."

"Thank you for patching me up. What's that?" I asked, referring to the cups in her hand.

"Percocet and water." She walked over and handed me both cups.

I quickly downed the pills and water in one swallow. "I have to get out of here." I said as I placed the cups on the nightstand and grabbed my phone. I thanked her again for the help and started to lift myself off the bed.

"Where do you think you're going?" she placed her hand on my chest, forcing me to sit back down. "You just got shot or did you forget?"

"I have some business to tend to."