Meet You There - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Thank you," I said to Maribella that evening, as she hugged me. She was heading out. "Today was just what I needed."

   "Of course," she said quickly. "You sure you don't want to come out tonight? Meet my friends from school?"

   She had invited me to the party she was going to that night, at a friend's house. It was in an area I didn't know. I had declined. Polly had also texted about a party that night that she and Josie were going to, but I ignored that, too.

   "Thanks, but not tonight," I shook my head.

   Maribella gave me one more smile before leaving, closing the door behind her. I felt defeated. I was upset that Bennett wanted to "cool it", which was crazy considering how much I'd tried to avoid it in the first place. I was also mad at myself for hurting him.

   It was almost 8 P.M. and I was alone, eating more snacks and watching a Rom Com on a Saturday night. I knew it could have been worse, but still, I was wallowing in self pity.

   I was laying in bed, early, awhile later, when my phone rang. I saw that it was my dad. It had been awhile since our last awkward chat.

   "Hello?"

   "Hey, Iris. Is it a good time?" he asked, sounding hopeful.

   I mean, it was not even 10 P.M. on a Saturday. I could have been at a party, or anywhere. But I wasn't.

   "Yeah, it's fine," I said. "What's up?"

   "I just wanted to talk. And apologize."

   "Okay."

   "I'm sorry for even mentioning it. I get it, you're not ready to talk about -"

   "I might never be ready, Dad. I do not want to talk about it," I interrupted.

   "I understand that now. I miss you, sweetie. The house feels so empty," he went on.

   "You should start dating," I told him, seriously.

   He laughed. "I've dated. But nothing serious."

  "Good. I want you to be happy, Dad." I meant it.

   "I am fine, honey. Are you happy there? How's school?" he wanted to know.

   "I'm good. I have friends, Caleb is really great..." Was I convincing enough?

   "Good." He paused. "Have you looked into colleges?"

   "Yeah. I talked with my guidance councillor last week. He thinks I should be able to get into NYU if this year goes well. And it will, I promise."

   "Wow. New York." He was surprised by this.

   "Did you know that Caleb went to Julliard?" I asked my dad.

   "Oh yes. I guess I'd forgotten."

   "He says New York is amazing," I said, smiling now.

   "I'm sure it is. Thanks for talking. I'll call again soon, okay?" he finished, suddenly.

   "Okay, Dad," I answered.

   I woke up to three missed calls the next day. One from Josie, two from Polly. And a few SOS texts. I wanted to throw my phone out the window.

   SORRY, MY PHONE WAS DEAD, I sent to Josie, hoping she would believe me.

   CALL ME RIGHT NOW, she sent back.