Meet You There - Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The elevator ride down to the main floor was quiet. Too quiet. I was regretting all of this, but I couldn't change my mind now. Just as we stepped out, a group of girls piled into the lobby. I recognized a few of them from my classes. It was strange that they were all in the building that I lived in.

   And then I saw Kelly Drake, as Josie pointed her out. She was the girl who had been arguing with Bennett on the steps the other day.

   "This way ladies," Kelly called out, spotting me with Josie and Polly. Her smile faded, for a moment. "Oh, girls, so glad you made it."

   Polly was chewing her bottom lip and I saw Josie smile her fake smile.

   "Thanks. Our friend Iris lives here, too. So we brought her."

   Kelly looked at me, maybe remembering me from that day, too. Or maybe not. She waved with her fingers. "The more the merrier. I mean, until we are at capacity."

   We walked past her and into the room where the pool was. It was bright and huge, beautiful high ceilings with chandeliers and a hot tub in the back corner. There were already a handful of people in the pool. I felt out of place.

   Josie lead us to an empty table and put down her bag. The table beside it had a couple bottles of rum and vodka, along with plastic cups and mix. I looked around, taking in a deep breath.

   "Polly?" Josie said quickly, holding out a drink for her.

   She took it, pounding it back right away. And then I noticed where she was looking, out across the room on the other side of the pool, was Alex Cruse. It all made sense now. Polly had dated him and now he was dating Kelly.

   "So, why are we here?" I asked them, as Josie put a drink in my hand.

   "What?" she asked, narrowing her eyes.

   More people came in and I saw a few more jump into the pool.

   "I mean, if it's Kelly's party and you guys hate her because she's dating Polly's ex-"

   "It's the first Senior party of the year. We had to come," Josie told me.

   I nodded, pulling off my shirt. Right away, Josie and Polly covered their mouths, staring at my bathing suit.

   "You're wearing a one piece?" Polly was shocked.

   "It's was the only one I liked at the thrift shop," I said, then stopped, embarrassed. I likely should not have told them that.

   "Oh. It's so vintage. I love it," Josie said quickly.

   "Right, yeah," Polly agreed.

   I was walking towards the edge of the pool, after finishing off my drink, when I saw Bennett. He was wearing striped swim shorts and I noticed he was thin but muscular. He hadn't seen me yet. He was facing away, talking to a group of guys. I was just about to step into the pool when Josie yelled at me.

   "Iris! What are you doing?"

   I looked back at her, but it was too late. Bennett was now looking our way.

   "Swimming?" I called back.

   "We were just going to sit on the side," Polly told me, as they walked closer to where I was.

   "It's a pool party. It's for swimming," I said, rolling my eyes.

   I glanced back to where Bennett had been, but he was gone. Hopping in, I felt the water was warm around my waist. Polly and Josie sat on the edge, letting their feet fall in.