Meet You There - Chapter 16

Chapter 16

I walked around the sixth floor for awhile, too nervous to knock on Bennett's door. Was I being too easy, now? Did I have to go back to playing hard to get? I just knew I needed a friend and Josie and Polly didn't live in the same building as I did. Plus, they weren't exactly great friends.

   IM OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR, I texted Bennett finally.

   A few minutes later, he answered. DON'T KNOCK. MY SISTER IS THERE. IM IN THE VILLAGE.

   SO MUCH FOR LEAVING YOUR SCHEDULE OPEN, I sent back.

   He left? He hadn't even waited to hear from me.

   IM HELPING A FRIEND. COME MEET ME AT THE POD IN HALF AN HOUR? he asked.

   The Pod was a weird little spot in the village, between a men's clothing store and a tiny restaurant. It seemed to be an empty building in the strip that was just a hang out for teenagers. I had heard there were drug deals going on constantly. I'd only ever walked past it, as it was down the street from Anita's Thrift Shop.

  I had to get out of the condo building now, so I agreed to meet him.

  Anita's was still open, so I went in, on my way. An older girl who looked a bit like Maribella was at the counter.

   "We're closing in ten minutes, just so you know," she called over to me.

   I nodded back at her. It was almost 8P.M. I pretended to look at the sunglasses for a few minutes, just killing time.

   "Iris?" I heard a voice, so I spun around.

   "Hey," I said, seeing Maribella now. "I was wondering if you'd be working."

   "I'm not, actually. My sister is, but I was down here with friends so I stopped in to catch a ride home. I should have texted you." She looked embarrassed, suddenly.

   "Oh, no, that's okay. How was your week?" I asked, realizing that I hadn't really talked to her. 

   "Oh, pretty good I guess. You?" she asked back.

   "It was good, too... until today," I said, then shrugged.

  "What happened?"

   I took a breath, lowering my voice. "A lot. For one, Caleb's girlfriend is back. And I have some weird stuff going on with Bennett..."

   "The guy from Rock Light?" she asked, eyes wide. I nodded. "Tell me everything."

   "I want to, but I'm on my way to meet him. Can I call you later? Or we could hang out tomorrow?" I suggested.

   "Awesome, yeah. Text me," she said happily.

   "I will," I agreed.

   I walked down the street, once I went outside again, until I was in front of The Pod. I couldn't see inside and I was definitely not going to go in alone. A minute later, the door opened. A guy walked out, followed by Bennett. He grinned at me, right away.

   "You came."

   "Yeah, but I'm not going in there," I said, looking at The Pod again.

   "You think I'd bring you in to The Pod?" he asked, surprised. There's two guys doing blow off of a table and I'm pretty sure there's a threesome happening in the back right now," he went on.

   "Uh, okay, I'm definitely never going in there." I took a few steps away from the door. "How is it even legally open?"

   "Um, it's owned by a big name businessman in town, who's kids go to Renaissance. So, the cops leave it be." He shrugged, following me as I kept walking.