Meet You There - Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Feel free to show Bennett around," Caleb said to me, walking over to start the espresso machine. For all he knew, we were just there for a quick little tour.

   I didn't see Fox anywhere, which made me nervous. I pulled Bennett's hand through the main area and around the corner to where a bunch of guitars and a drum kit were set up. Bennett didn't waste any time, he pulled me close and was kissing me right away. I let him, enjoying it, but knew how embarrassing it would be for Caleb to see us.

   "Fox is supposed to be here," I whispered, after pulling away.

   Bennett shrugged, then kissed the tip of my nose. "I really like kissing you."

   I smiled at him, just as music started playing through the ceiling speakers.

   You were the one, who was better than me, better for me. But I couldn't see...

   You were there, when I pushed you away, you didn't stray, you pulled me clooooooser...

   "Iris?" Caleb called out to me. "What is this?"

   I walked back to where he was now, looking confused. Bennett followed. "Uh, I -" I began, but stopped.

   Suddenly Fox stepped out from the back room, smiling at me. Caleb couldn't see her yet.

   "Um, I think you should ask Fox," I told him.

   Caleb turned quickly, and they were face to face. I saw a smile creep onto his face. "What's going on?" he asked her.

   "Just listen," she said to him.

   All four of us listened to the rest of the song. I had tears in my eyes again. The song was obviously about their relationship, their past, her family, the things they'd been through. It was so sweet and beautiful.

   You are the only one I need... you keep me free.

   Caleb wiped his own eyes, then wrapped his arms around Fox. We were all quiet for a few minutes, until she let out a laugh.

   "I can't believe this worked."

   "What? You set this up?" Caleb asked her, still holding her close to him.

   "I asked Iris to get you here, so I could play that for you. I recorded it a couple days ago. I wrote it on tour," she explained.

  Caleb turned back to me. "I thought Bennett wanted to see the studio?"

  I smiled, but Bennett spoke. "Well, it is pretty sweet."

   "You guys all set me up?" Caleb asked, in disbelief.

   Fox laughed again. "I didn't know how else to play it for you."

   "I loved it," he told her, kissing her again.

   I took Bennett's hand again and pulled him back around to the back door. It was down a bit of a hallway. His hand was warm and felt good with mine. 

   "That was really cute," he said, running a hand through his hair.

   "It totally was," I agreed, leaning against the wall. "Thanks for coming."

   Bennett stepped closer to me. "Anytime."

   "I guess we can kiss wherever we want now," I told him.

   "Even in your uncle's studio?" he questioned me, already so close I could feel him breathing.

   I nodded, so he pressed his lips to mine, smiling at the same time.

IM FINALLY DONE WORK. WANT TO GET A COFFEE? Maribella texted me, later that evening.

   Bennett and I had spent the rest of the day in my bedroom, after lunch with Caleb and Fox. We still kept our public displays of affections to a minimum, but I saw Caleb notice that we were holding hands. I just knew he was going to want to talk about it, again.

   "Maribella wants to know if I want to go get a coffee," I told Bennett, sitting up a bit.

   We had been mostly listening to music and cuddling, talking. We had made out a bit, but he was the one who wanted to stop. I mean, he didn't want to. But he was responsible enough to know when to cool down.

   Now, he pouted. "You want to end our perfect, first real day together?"

   I let out a laugh, because he looked ridiculous. "Don't cry."

   So he grinned, pulling me down close again. He kissed me, nuzzling in against me. His lips were so soft and I bit the bottom one, telling him I liked it. I didn't really want to end this, but I knew, too, that now was not the time to take this very new relationship any further.

   "I have some stuff to do tonight, anyway," he finally said, sitting up as I climbed off of him.

   "Oh, do you?" I teased him.

   "I do. But I promise I'll be thinking about kissing you." He stuck out his tongue.

   "Okay, that's good then," I smiled. 

   "Iris, I'm really glad you didn't get freaked out when you heard about my past," he said seriously, standing now.

   I stood, but was on the other side of the bed. "I don't exactly get scared easily."

   He reached for my hand and adjusted his shirt before we left my bedroom, heading for the door. 

  "I'll call you tomorrow?" he asked, but pulled me in again after he put on his shoes.

  "Okay," I agreed, kissing him quickly.

   I watched him go, then sent a text back to Maribella.

   YES, COFFEE. I HAVE LOTS TO UPDATE YOU.

   OKAY. ILL BE AT JAVA HUT IN TEN MINUTES, she answered.

   I went back to my bedroom to find a sweater from my closet, then brushed out my hair a bit. I was still feeling high from my day with Bennett; none of it had really hit me yet. I was looking forward to updating Maribella. I knew she would actually care to hear about all the details.

   When I went back out to the kitchen a few minutes later, Caleb was there, pouring a bowl of cereal. He hadn't been around when Bennett left, I didn't think. I hadn't paid much attention.

   "So, things will you and Bennett are good?" he asked, seeing me.

   "Yeah," I answered, walking through the room to go to the door again. "I'm going to get a coffee with Maribella."

  "Okay," he nodded, pouring milk into his bowl.

   I narrowed my eyes at him, knowing something was up. "What?"

   "Nothing." He shrugged, exaggerating the motion.

   "Caleb."

   "It's just that you two weren't even talking, then you're making out the next day? And today you were holding hands, and -" There it was. I knew he wouldn't just let it be.

   "You said you'd stay out of my business," I snapped, without meaning to.

   He looked surprised, shaking his head. "Right. Okay, have fun."

   I felt bad but I slipped on the shoes and left quickly, anyway. I took the elevator down and walked right past Kelly and Alex in the lobby, on the way out. They didn't see me, or didn't bother to say anything. I just kept going, down the main steps and then right down the sidewalk, towards the village.