Meet You There - Chapter 9

Chapter 9

As I sat in the apartment, alone, for the next hour, I couldn't stop thinking about him. My heart was still beating fast. I knew I had to clear my head, as this was the last thing I needed right now.

   IM JUST GOING DOWN TO THE POOL FOR A SWIM, BE BACK FOR DINNER, I texted Caleb, then changed into my bathing suit.

   As a kid, I loved to swim. I passed all the levels of lessons with ease and swam weekly up until I was twelve. For the past few years, I'd been avoiding swimming at all, besides the beach in California. That wasn't really swimming, though. I missed being in the water and this was my chance to start swimming again. It calmed me, and also made me feel alive.

   I had a towel wrapped around my body as I slipped out of the elevator and into the pool area. I let out a sigh as I realized the entire place was empty. I didn't hesitate to toss my towel onto a chair and jump in the water. I started doing laps, back and forth, only coming up for air. After a while, I was so energized and there was so much excitement running through my body. I loved to swim. It was one of the only things I really enjoyed. I did a few more laps before deciding to sit in the hot tub for a few minutes.

   I had my eyes closed when I heard the - loud - door open and close again. I didn't look over. I was only planning on staying in there for a few more minutes, then head back up anyway. I heard the splash of someone getting into the pool. I listened to the rhythmic sound of that person doing laps, just as I had. It steadied my heart. It make me feel good.

   I was walking over to the chair that my towel was on when I finally glanced into the pool. He was swimming above the water, paying no attention to me, but I knew it was him. I considered sneaking out, but decided against it. I sat on the edge of the pool, instead. When his head came up, he was surprised to see me.

   "How'd you know I was here?" I asked, right away.

   "I didn't," he answered, seriously. "I swim almost every day after school."

   "Oh."

   "So maybe you followed me in here," he suggested, then shook his head.

   "I was here first."

   "Right. Well, a coincidence then."

   I shrugged. "I guess so."

   He swam over so he was right in front of me. "This has to be a sign."

   "A sign?" I repeated.

   "That we should be friends," he went on.

   "The only way that we will be friend is if it's a secret," I said quickly.

   "I'm okay with that," he shrugged. 

   I took in a breath. "Don't you have your own friends?"

   "Of course. The wrestling team... the football team..."

   "You wrestle and play football?" I asked, surprised.

   "And I swim."

   "So, why do you need me?" I questioned him.

   "I don't need you. I want you," he answered, now grinning.

   At first, it seemed innocent. But a moment later he was touching my leg, that was hanging into the water, inches from him. And then before I knew what I was doing, I hopped back into the water and wrapped myself around him.