Meet You There - Chapter 12

Chapter 12

I decided that Sundays would be for being lazy, staying in pajamas and not leaving the apartment if I didn't have to. I planned to try to fit in a swim, if I could. But otherwise, Netflix and homework would be my focus.

   By noon that day, I'd finished homework and caught up on some reading, so I started a movie. Caleb came in with coffees and a man with a beard, who looked a bit younger than him.

   "Iris," he started. "I'd like you to meet Ty."

   I was in baggy sweat pants and an oversized t-shirt, no bra and feeling super embarrassed all of a sudden. I crossed my arms across my body. "Oh, hey."

   "Ty's my older friend, and he's my drummer. Ty, this is my niece, Iris." Caleb looked excited for us to meet. It was a big deal for him, so I smiled.

   "Nice to finally meet you," Ty began. "Caleb has been telling us all about you."

   "Yeah, you too," I answered.

   Ty was cute, tall, dark hair and eyes. He had a beard and wore a plaid shirt and jeans. I was still feeling awkward sitting there in pjs as Caleb spoke again.

   "So, we just got asked to play tonight, at Rock Light. It's an all ages show, another band backed out. It's only goes until 10P.M. Do you want to go?" He was asking me.

   Considering our conversation from the previous night, this was ballsy of him. But I knew for sure that he wanted to see like the cool uncle. I was still a bit mad that he hadn't told me that he knew about San Diego.

   "Maybe," I shrugged, wanting him to think that I could take it to leave it. "I'll see if anyone wants to go."

   Caleb nodded at me. "We will be leaving here by 6P.M."

   I watched them cross the room and go down to Caleb's bedroom before I exhaled. It seemed like he wanted me to go, so I would. I'd never heard him play. I still wanted to keep my relationship with him on good terms. I didn't have any other options.

   I considering asking Polly, maybe even Josie, but neither of them had even texted me to see if I'd gotten home okay. They were obviously not that concerned about me.

   A little later, I sent a text to Maribella. We weren't really friends, yet, but I figured I might as well give it a shot.

   HEY, IT'S IRIS. IF YOURE FREE, I WAS WONDERING IF YOU WANTED TO HANG OUT TONIGHT?

   I went back to my movie, which had been paused. Once it finished, I got up to have to shower and get dressed. My phone dinged just before I was getting in.

  I WOULD LOVE TO. ANY IDEAS? Maribella sent back. 

  WELL, MY UNCLES BAND IS PLAYING AT ROCK LIGHT.

  OH, THAT'S AWESOME. WHAT TIME? She asked.

  7-10PM. WE COULD PICK YOU UP, I suggested.

  OH, MY SISTER OWES ME A RIDE. ILL TEXT YOU IN A BIT.

   This was all so new to me - making a brand new friend - but I was looking forward to hanging out with Maribella. She was sweet and different, and not a part of my past. An all ages night at Rock Light would have to do.

   The club was dark as we went in. I didn't have to pay cover since I arrived with the band, but I had to get a stamp, so the bar knew I was underage. I had done this all before. Rock Light felt familiar.