Meet You There - Chapter 19

Chapter 19

I tried not to be nervous be nervous going back to school that week, but it wasn't easy. The previous week was so good, I had felt on top of the world. I felt like I actually fit in, and that things were okay. Now, I was back to feeling like a lost puppy, following Josie around.

   Polly looked like she felt sorry for me, in first period. At least she wasn't really mad about it.

  "It was such a huge scandal," she said, whispering before class began. "We've sort of forgotten about it, I guess, so we didn't think to tell you."

   "It's fine," I whispered back. I knew she was talking about what had happened to Bennett in sophomore year.

   "He has a really good way of hiding it, at school, but I think he still hangs out with a bad scene," she went on.

   "He doesn't," I said, but thought of him, helping his friend at The Pod.

   "We don't want you to get hurt or tied up in anything bad," Polly explained, patting my arm.

   "I know. I get it," I snapped, annoyed. "But I'm fine."

   Polly nodded, looking concerned anyway.

   It wasn't like I was even hanging out with Bennett now. He was ignoring me. We went from sneaking smiling in the cafeteria, and making out in the pool area of our building, to him turning his back if he saw me at school. I tried hard to pretend like I didn't care. Why did I even care? I barely knew him.

   I walked home that day, mid week, with my headphones in, my music loud. I didn't even feel like going to see if Maribella was working. I just walked, fast, straight home. I swiped myself into the building and went towards the elevator, but then decided to check the pool. It was empty.

   I quickly put on my bathing suit on, in the apartment, and headed back down, relieved that there was still no one there. I jumped in, diving under right away. I felt free. Safe. I did laps for awhile, then figured I should leave before anyone - especially Bennett - showed up for a swim. I dried off, slipped on my flip flops and left the pool area, walking back towards the elevator. When the doors open, I was so glad it was empty. It really wasn't fun being worried constantly about running into Bennett or his sister. I just couldn't face them. When I got up to the apartment, it was unlocked. I opened the door and went in, confused, only to find Fox sitting in the living room.

   "Hey," she said quickly.

   "Oh, hi." I kicked off my sandals, adjusting my towel.

   "I let myself in. I still have the key," she told me, but I could tell she was worried about my reaction.

   "Oh, right." I was already walking towards my bedroom to change.

   "I was wondering if we can talk?" she asked, even with my back to her.

   I froze. What did she want to talk to me about? "Yeah, sure. I will be right back out."

   I saw her smile and then I disappeared down the hallway. After changing into my hoodie and sweat pants, I hung up my towel and wet bathing suit, then went back out.

   I sat beside her, smiling. I was determined to be nice, friendly, if she was going to be, to me. My hair was still damp. My fingers were sort of pruny from the warm water. Now I felt cold, and exposed.

   "I know it was weird the other day. I'm sorry. Can we start over?" Fox began.

   "Yeah, of course," I said right away. "I mean, you used to live here. Now I live here. It's weird."

   "Right. I chose the tour, though. Caleb chose you, his family. I should not have been upset with him about that." She tucked some hair behind her ear but it popped right back out. "He's so... amazing. He's my best friend. And..."

   "Don't worry. I will be out of your hair in less than a year," I said, without really thinking.

   "Wait, what you do mean?"

   "I'm going to college, hopefully in New York. That's my goal," I smiled.

   "Iris, that's incredible. You will love it there. Caleb and I can take you, to show you around and get you settled. I'm from Brooklyn, but I spent eight years in the city," Fox told me, her face lighting up.

   "You're from New York?" I asked, amazed.

   "Yep."

   "I can't wait to get there."

   She smiled again, then clapped her hands together. "So, I have sort of a surprise, for Caleb. But I need your help with something."

   "My help?" I asked,surprised by the suddenly change of thought.

   "I went to the studio yesterday. He did tell you about it?'

   I nodded. "He took me there, in September."

   "So. I wrote him a song, while I was gone. Yesterday, I recorded it. Just vocals and my keyboard. I want to take him there this weekend so he can hear it, and I want him to add his guitar to the track."

   My heart jumped, realizing how incredible sweet this was. "Wow."

   "He and I ended in a weird place when I left. I was mad at him for not going on tour with our band, and -"

   "Oh, just so you know, all of my friends love Wolfcub. You guys need to play together soon," I interrupted.

   Fox's eyes went wide. "We will, I hope. I have to get Caleb back to where we were. He's got his guard up."

   "He does?" I asked.

   "You'll see how he acts around me. He's unsure. Not really himself. It's my fault. I mean, I was really mad at him, and left to tour with a friend without really telling him," she went on.

   "Sorry. He really loves you, I know that."

   "I really love him. So, I was hoping you could tell him that you want to show your friend the studio? So he'll take you and your friend there, and I'll be there, and I'll play the track," she explained.

   "Oh, yeah, I can do that," I agreed, smiling.

   "Amazing. Thank you, Iris," Fox finished, looking relieved.

   "Of course. Are you staying for dinner? Caleb always gets pizza on Mondays," I asked.

   "I would love that," she smiled.