Meet You There - Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Bennett liked the chase, it turned out. He liked that I kept playing hard to get, even after we had already made out in the pool, and he had my number. He liked smiling at me in the hall at school; he liked our secret. I liked it, too, but I wasn't going to tell him that.

   I started texting him back a few days later, but never right away. I usually waited hours in between, because I knew he didn't mind. Nothing between us was serious or real.

   I did find it hard to focus at lunch later that week, when he entered the cafeteria with his friends - loud and obnoxious - a few tables away. Josie was going on and on about how Jack had invited her to his parents' cottage on the lake, that weekend. She didn't even know if she was allowed to go, yet, but she wouldn't stop talking about it. Even when Carley reminded her that it was her birthday that weekend, Josie barely noticed. Polly was doing better. She had made out with a college guy at the party, after I left, but he hadn't called her yet. I assumed he wasn't going to. Also, Shayla Atkins had told Josie that she'd seen me at Rock Light on Sunday, so I'd already been drilled about that.

   "Why didn't you invite us?" Josie asked me, looking annoyed.

   "It was super last minute," I said quickly.

   "Who played?" Polly wanted to know.

   "Wolfcub, it's -"

   "No way. They haven't played a local show since the summer. I heard the girl keyboard playing quit the band," Carley spoke up.

   "She didn't," I answered, without thinking.

   "How do you know?" Josie asked right away.

   "It's my uncle's band."

   "Wolfcub is your uncle's band?" Josie repeated, not believing me. I nodded. "Shit. Well you just got way cooler."

   "Uh, thanks?" I said quietly, looking over at where Bennett was sitting with a group of guys.

   I hated how these girls made me feel, in general. I was quickly realizing that Maribella was a much better friend than they were, and I'd only really met her a few times. These girls were just drama, times ten. I really wasn't interested.

   At my locker at the end of the day, I noticed Bennett at the end of the hall and my heart beat picked up a bit. I didn't want him to know how he was affecting me. I also didn't really like the idea of hiding that we were friends, at school. I didn't like any of this.

   Walking home, I thought about going to see if Maribella was working. As I passed the store, I glanced in and saw that it was sort of busy, so I kept walking. I didn't want to distract her. Just as I turned the corner, my phone buzzed.

   ILL BE AT THE POOL FOR AN HOUR, AT 330. Bennett.

   I knew the pool could not be were we tried to hide out. His own sister, his parents or even Caleb could walk in at any moment. But that did not stop me from going to see him.

   He was doing laps, completely under the water, when I went in. I was in my school uniform, and there was an older man sitting in the hot tub. I sat down in a chair, a few feet from the pool, wishing I had gone to put my bathing suit on. When he came up for air, he noticed me right away.

   "You're in your uniform," he commented, instead of saying hi.

   "I am."

   "I mean, it looks good on you, but I think your bathing suit would have been more appropriate," he grinned.

   "You would think so," I told him.

   "You came to tease me, then?" he asked, now at the edge of the pool.

   "Tease you?" I asked, but he shrugged. "There's a man in the hot tub. Right there."

   "So?" he said, hoping out of the pool.

   Dripping wet, his swim shorts stuck to his legs and his hair was slicked back. It was all too much, besides the fact that I knew he wanted me. He grabbed his towel off the chair next to me and wrapped it around his waist. I stood up.

   "Bennett," I said, now actually teasing him.

   He grinned, water droplets falling down his face. "Yes."

   "We can't hide in here," I told him.

   "Why not?"

   "Because it's a public pool."

   "Not really," he smiled, stepping closer.

   "We can't."

   "Do you even know how bad I want to kiss you again? It's been a week," he said, keeping his eyes on mine.

   I smiled, because he was really cute when he was whiny. "Didn't I tell you that was a mistake?"

   "Stop," he said, shaking his head. "You liked it."

   "Yeah, I did. But that's what scares me," I admitted.

  "You really care if Josie and Polly find out that you're seeing me?" He looked surprised by this.

   I shook my head. "Not really."

   "So? What then?" he asked.

   "I'm scared because I'm not ready for any of this, right now."

   "Okay. Then I'll wait." He shrugged, like this was no big deal.

   "But I thought you can't wait to kiss me again?" I asked, smiling.

   "I can. I don't want to, but I can."

   I stepped forward and put my hands to his face, which was still wet. His hands went right to my waist.

   "You're so confusing," he whispered.

   "Sorry," I said, then leaned in and kissed him.

   His kissed me back, soft at first and then harder, longer than the first time. I ran my fingers through his wet hair, bringing him closer. When I pulled away, he was grinned, as if he couldn't control it. He really looked like a kid in a candy store.

   "You keep kissing me," he said, then let out a laugh.

   "I know," I admitted.

   "Are we still just friends?" he asked, stepping back.

   "Yes."

   "For now?"

   "For... ever."

   He looked hurt. "You said you don't care what Josie thinks."

   "I do, sort of. But I also just want to focus on school. I need to get into a good college, in New York."

   "New York?"

   I nodded. "Yes."

   "So, I'm too distracting?" he laughed.

   "Yes, you are. Because I keep kissing you, even though I shouldn't," I said, but smiling.

   "You should," he said back, pulling me close again. "I promise."

   I kissed him, again, then shook my head. "I'm going."

   "Where?"

   "Home. To read my English novel."

   "You can read to me." He cocked his head to the side, looking way too adorable.

   "You only want to make out," I accused him.

   "Not true. I'm sure I could spent two hours with you without kissing you," he shot back. I wasn't so sure.

   "Is that a dare?" I asked him.

   "Uh, yes?" He looked unsure.

   "Fine. 408. But get dressed first."

   "408? Your apartment?" he asked, confused.

   I nodded, but was already walking away.