Meet You There - Chapter 20

Chapter 20

The week dragged on. School was just school and I sort of felt like I was barely holding on. Polly and Josie were thrilled that I was no longer seeing Bennett. I rarely saw him at school, and he obviously now avoided the spots that he used to find me at. I was starting to feel over it, with him, by the end of the week. I mean, I should have been over it. He was the one avoiding me.

   After school on Friday, I went straight to Anita's. I hadn't seen Maribella all week, besides when she stopped in at the apartment on her way home from work one day, but only to say hi. Now, I planned to hang out at the store, and ask her if she wanted to go to the studio in Belport the next day. She was behind the counter when I stepped into the store. Her hair was down in two braids and she was wearing overalls with a bright green top.

   "Hey, I'm so glad to see you," she called over right away.

   "Hey."

   "I've been here for thirty minutes and already my sister is bitching at me," Maribella said, rolling her eyes. "She's leaving soon, thank God."

   I leaned onto the counter, listening to her. "What are you doing tomorrow?"

   "Ugh, I have to be here all day. Anita, my cousin, is finally back in town but won't be here until 4P.M."

   "Oh, damn. Maybe we can hang out after you get done work?" I suggested. I was disappointed she wouldn't be able to go to Belport with me.

   "Sure. Did you talk to Bennett yet?" she asked, now messing with some stuff behind the counter.

   "No. I don't think I'm going to," I shook my head.

   "What? You can't let his stupid sister ruin this for you," she told me, looking up at me again.

   "It's not just that she told everyone we were together. It's... what Josie told me about him," I admitted.

   "Are you perfect?" Maribella asked, seriously.

   "No."

   "Exactly. Give him a chance to be better, with you." She was back to messing around with some papers, but her words hit me hard.

   I shrugged. "He's the one completely avoiding me."

   "Well, is that why he just walked past the store?" Maribella snorted, pointing at the window. "Go, talk to him."

   "I can't."

   "Yes, you can."

   I took a breath and turned, walking towards the door. It was definitely him, now walking towards The Pod. He wasn't there to see me. He was still avoiding me. I looked back at Maribella, but she was waved me out of the store. I slowly pushed the door open.

   "Bennett!" I called out, even surprising myself.

   He stopped, turning his head back. His was wearing a hat and black sweater, with jeans. Our eyes met. I didn't know what to do.

   "Yeah?" he yelled back, looking curious, yes annoyed.

   I started walking towards him, without thinking. It was like my legs were just going and I couldn't stop them. He didn't move. When I got close enough, I stopped, forcing a smile. He just stared at me.

   "Can we talk?" I asked him, nervous for his answer.

   "I have to meet my buddy," he said, glancing at The Pod.

   "Are you busy later?" I asked, suddenly aware that he did not want to be there.

   "Yeah, kind of." He looked overall uninterested. "Kelly is having a party at our place. Parents are away for the night."

   "Oh, okay." I took a breath and stepped back. I was hurt by how he was dismissing me.

   "I'll text you later?" he said quickly. "I just... I gotta go." And then he was already turning away.

   I hated how obsessed with this I was. I wanted to not care at all, about Bennett Drake. I'd gotten too involved in something that was not worth my time. But for some reason I had to find out why he was so against even talking to me. He had been so sweet and interested in me. He cared, I knew he did. Something had changed and it was eating at me, not knowing.

   The apartment was empty, and I changed out of my uniform, made a sandwich and plopped myself down on the couch. I still hadn't figured out what I was going to do about Belport, but I was looking forward to it - to hearing Fox's song and to seeing Caleb's reaction. I wanted everything to be okay for them.

   WORKING LATE, CAN YOU GET YOUR OWN DINNER? Caleb texted me at 5P.M.

   I was reading a few chapters of my English novel.

   NO PROBLEM. BUT I NEED TO TALK TO YOU TONIGHT, I sent back.

   OK. BE HOME AROUND 8.

   WHAT HAPPENED WITH BENNETT? Maribella texted awhile later.

   I still hadn't moved from the couch. I was being lazy, but it was Friday and I didn't care.

   NOTHING. HE SAID HE'D TEXT ME BUT HE HASN'T.

   OH, LET ME KNOW IF HE DOES, she said.

   OKAY.

   I watched a TV show that Caleb had set the PVR to record for me, and then I took a shower. Being alone in the apartment wasn't a big deal to me - I didn't mind being alone - but as I was waiting for Bennett to text, it felt like time was passing so slowly.

   When he finally did, it wasn't what I expected. Really, I don't know what I was expecting.

   I HAVE LIKE 30 MINUTES. WHAT DID YOU WANT TO TALK ABOUT? he asked, later that evening.

   I JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOU, I sent back, nervous. I didn't exactly want to do this over texts.

   NOTHING.

   REALLY? YOU'RE ACTING WEIRD.

   HOW WOULD YOU KNOW? he asked back.

   NEVERMIND, FORGET IT.

   He didn't answer for awhile, so I went to my bedroom to put away my laundry from that weekend. It was all in a big pile on the chair next to my bed.

   DING.

   I WAS JUST TRYING TO PROTECT YOU FROM THE DRAMA, he sent, an hour later.

   WHAT DO YOU MEAN? I asked back right away.

   I WAS AVOIDING YOU, SO YOU COULD ESCAPE ALL OF THE CRAP GOING ON, he sent back.

   I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANY OF IT, I sent, without really thinking. I didn't know what I was getting myself into.

   YES YOU DO.

   NO I DON'T. I FREAKED OUT IN THE ELEVATOR AND IT WAS STUPID.

   SO, YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT WHAT JOSIE TOLD YOU ABOUT ME? he asked.

   I took a few minutes to answer. I knew that whatever I said would define what happened next between us. I cared, because it had surprised me. But he didn't know everything about my past, either.

   I WOULD HAVE RATHER YOU TOLD ME YOURSELF, I finally sent a text back.

   OKAY, he answered right away.

   I had no idea what to say back, and I felt completed drained now, so I put down my phone. This was exactly why I didn't want to get involved with a guy, here. I let myself get hurt, even when I tried so hard not to care. I should have told Bennett that I was not interested from the start. I knew that no matter what I did now, it would be awkward. And I had to see him at school, in our building, for the next nine months, at least. Oh, how I couldn't wait to get to New York.