Meet You There - Chapter 13

Chapter 13

"My sister heard about the show and is on her way," Maribella told me when I got back over to her a few minutes later. "She's really mad that I didn't tell her."

   "Oh, oops," I laughed, looking from her to Caleb.

   "She probably won't drive me home, but I don't even care," Maribella went on, now laughing, too.

   "We can drive you," I told her.

   There was about thirty minutes until Wolfcub would be finished their set, and I was really just enjoying being there, with Maribella. I liked the music, I liked how I felt there. The club was still packed - we were shoulder to shoulder, people singing along to their songs and swaying their bodies. I felt weird that I'd never heard the songs before.

   "You okay?" Maribella bumped into my shoulder with hers, and I realized I had been zoning out a bit.

   "Yeah, fine!" I answered, smiling.

   Somehow, I was surprised that Bennett hadn't made a point to find me yet. I hadn't been thinking of him constantly, but it was enough. Just as the music got a bit quieter and Caleb started into a slower song, I felt someone grab my hand. I spun around, suddenly face to face with him.

   "I think you owe me something," he said, pulling me close to him.

   I let him hold me at my waist, our faces only inches apart. It felt good, my heart racing, and for a second I thought maybe it didn't matter. Maybe I could stand up to Josie. I really liked how Bennett looked at me.

   "Took you long enough," I said loudly.

   He grinned, passing me his phone. I typed in my number, adding my name, then held it back out to him again. I leaned in closer to whisper in his ear.

   "This is still a secret."

   "That's still fine with me," he said back, holding me there.

   After a moment I stepped back, smiling at him. "See you at school."

   He nodded and waited, watching me. I just shook my head and turned back towards Maribella. She had been watching the whole thing.

   "Uh, you didn't tell me you had a boyfriend," she yelled, pulling my hand. "And how hot he is!"

   "He's not... we're not..." I said, but felt weird inside all of a sudden.

   "Oh, well, it looked like you were," she laughed.

   I tried to relax and enjoy the rest of the set, but of course Bennett was in my head. I could feel his hands on me. I could see his adorable face, grinning. I couldn't focus.

   An hour later, we were packed up and back in Caleb's truck, Maribella and I in the backseat. She told Caleb her address, and we were off.

   "Did you two have a good time?" Caleb asked, keeping his eyes on the road.

   "I did," Maribella answered. "Thanks for the invite. You are so talented."

   "Oh, that's very kind," Caleb answered, and I could tell he was smiling. "I'm actually better with Fox."

   "Is that your keyboard player? My sister told me that she's amazing," Maribella went on.

   "Yeah, Fox, she's my girlfriend." He paused, changing lanes. "She'll be back soon."

   "I didn't know you were soon... well known," I spoke up.

   "Oh, yeah, I guess we are, locally," he replied.