Meet You There - Chapter 34

Chapter 34

My phone had two missed calls and two texts, when I looked at it later that afternoon. Mostly from Maribella, and one call from Caleb.

   I was in my bedroom, my sad playlist blasting through my bluetooth speaker. I hadn't really stopped crying. I hadn't eaten - in fact, my bagel was still there in the toaster from earlier. I didn't care. I was thinking of Bennett and how he was on his way - or already in - Harriston. Checking into a rehab program, alone. The day before, we had been so good. And now, he was just gone.

   HEY, WHAT'S GOING ON TODAY? One of Maribella's text read.

   The other - DID YOU HEAR FROM BENNETT?

   Caleb hadn't left a message, so I ignored that for now.

   SORRY. I CAN'T GO TO YOUR BIRTHDAY PARTY, I sent back to Maribella.

   OH. WHY? she sent back right away.

   BENNETT GOT ARRESTED LAST NIGHT. NOW HE'S GOING TO REHAB FOR THREE MONTHS. SORRY, IM A MESS, I explained, even though I didn't want to.

   OH SHIT. SORRY, IRIS.

   HAPPY BIRTHDAY. SEE YOU IN A FEW DAYS, OK? I asked. Her birthday was the following day.

   OK. THANKS.

   It was mid afternoon, but I went back to bed. I slept for a few hours, then made a coffee and toasted a new bagel. I only took a few bites of it, the day replaying in my mind. It wasn't fair. Why was I being punished again? Why couldn't I get a break? Bennett was so good, yet did a stupid thing. By the time he would be back in Charlottesville, the school year would be almost done. I would hopefully be on my way to New York a couple months later. Everything would be so different.

   My phone buzzed that evening. I just wanted it to be Bennett, but I knew it wouldn't be. It couldn't be.

   Caleb had  already come home and had tried to talk to me. He wanted to make sure I was okay, I understood that. But I wasn't in the mood to talk. I just wanted to be sad.

   The text was from Kelly.

   BENNETT WAS A MESS WHEN WE LEFT HIM THERE. I SWEAR LAST TIME HE WENT TO REHAB HE WASN'T EVEN FAZED BY IT. HE TOLD ME TO TELL YOU HE'S REALLY SORRY.

   I knew he was sorry. He'd already said it. I had seen him crying. I knew he meant it. He loved me. I loved him, but I didn't know how I was going to get through the next few months. How was I supposed to love someone when I couldn't see them or talk to them?

   THANKS, I typed back to Kelly.

   ARE YOU GOING TO TRY TO GET THROUGH THIS WITH HIM? HE REALLY NEEDS US NOW.

   I took a deep breath before I answered.   I'LL TRY.

   OK. THERE ARE SOME DAYS WE CAN VISIT, I'LL GET YOU PUT ON THE LIST.

   OKAY, I finished. I felt like I couldn't breathe.

   Bennett had spent four nights in a row in my bed, with me. He'd held me, made me feel safe and happy. And now he was gone. I couldn't text him. I couldn't just knock on the door and see him. What we had was over, whether I liked it or not.

   SEE YOU AT SCHOOL? Kelly sent, even though I'd already put my phone down.

   School. I had to go back to school without Bennett. I wanted to run away, instead.

   It only took a few days before Caleb noticed Bennett was really not around anymore. I had been avoiding him the best I could. I didn't want to talk about it. I didn't want to have to explain to Caleb what had happened. I didn't want Caleb to think badly of Bennett, but I knew I couldn't lie to him.

   "Did you and Bennett break up? Is that why you've been weird?" he asked me, at the end of the first week back at school.

   "Not exactly," I answered, pouring a glass of water.

   Caleb was at the island, drinking a coffee, waiting on Fox to arrive. They had a dinner date.

   "What does that mean?" he wanted to know, raising his eyebrows.

   I took a deep breath, letting it out slowly. I really didn't want to tell him. "He's... in rehab."

   "Um, rehab? For what?" I knew he was confused.

   "Don't make this a big thing, okay?" I asked, and he looked worried right away. "He was selling drugs..."

   "Iris, are you serious? Did you know?" Suddenly Caleb was yelling, like he couldn't stop himself.

   "Sort of."

   "Iris... I trusted him with you. I let him sleep over -"

   "He got set up. The guys who he was selling for sent the cops to -"

   "Stop," Caleb interrupted. He was angry, now, I could tell.

   "No. Caleb, this is not his fault. He's not a bad guy," I said loudly. I had to stick up for him.

   "Iris, he was dealing drugs. That's not okay." He shook his head. He looked so serious, like I'd never seen him.

   "I wish I never told you," I spat out, turning away to go to my bedroom.

   "Iris, I am just trying to make sure you're safe."

   I looked back at him and saw the pain on his face. "I can take care of myself."

   Now he was hurt, too. He nodded quickly and crossed the room, putting on his shoes to leave. I turned and ran to my bedroom, crying again. The last thing I wanted to do was hurt him. He was the one who had taken me in after I felt like I would never be okay again. He loved me, despite my past. Now I was pushing him away, too, when I needed him the most. He had every right to be upset with me, but I was too broken to care.