Meet You There - Chapter 10

Chapter 10

I made the decision to be social the following day, and texted Josie in the afternoon.

   WHAT'S UP TODAY?

   I WAS JUST ABOUT TO TEXT YOU. COME HANG OUT TONIGHT? She sent back.

   SURE. WHERE?

   JACK'S APARTMENT. THERE WILL JUST BE A FEW PEOPLE FOR A HANG OUT, she answered.

   I was hesitant, but I answered anyway. OKAY, WHAT TIME?

   MY DAD'S GOING TO DRIVE US. WE WILL PICK YOU UP AT 9PM.

   I put my phone down, feeling anxious already. But I knew I couldn't stay cooped up in my bedroom all weekend. Even Caleb probably had stuff to do. Now, I was afraid to go to the pool to swim, so I planned to avoid that for awhile.

   Kissing Bennett was... good. At the time. But I knew the consequences. And sneaking around wasn't my forte.

   I had a couple of hours before I would start getting ready for the night, so I decided to go for a walk. I put my headphones into my phone, started my playlist and left. I took the elevator down and went right out the main doors. I walked around the entire block, ending up at the cafe once again. I liked it there, even though there was a chance of bumping into people from school, namely a guy that I'd made out with. I got a latte and a crossiant, and sat at a table by the window. My music was still playing. I stayed an hour or so, long after my food and drink were gone. I watched people come and go, allowing myself to feel relaxed.

   Just as I was about to get up to leave, someone touched my shoulder. I jumped, pulling out my ear buds.

   "Hey." It was Maribella, from the thrift store.

   "Oh, hey," I smiled. "How're you?"

   "I'm good. I just got off work and came to grab a coffee for my walk home." She held out her drink to show me.

   "Oh, nice. Do you live close?" I asked, standing up.

   "Well, not really," she laughed. "But my dad won't let me drive his car until he thinks I'm responsible enough. So I'm getting myself to and from school and work, hoping he'll notice."

  "Oh, well, I hope he lets you drive soon," I smiled.

  "Thanks."

   "Hey, I just live around the block and was heading home, I can walk a bit with you," I told her, turning to drop my garbage into the can.

  "Oh, awesome," she replied, smiling back.

   We walked together, back towards the condo building. Maribella was easy to talk to and seemed like a really cool person, but I didn't really know how to make a friend. I'd always just let it happen to me.

  "You like here?" she asked, as we approached the building.

  I nodded. "It's my uncle's apartment. I just moved here in August."

  "Oh, wow. Where from?" Maribella asked, curious.

  "Uh, California. My dad lives there." For some reason, I hated telling people I had lived there.

  "Oh my god, lucky!" she said, eyes wide. "I want to go to California so bad."

  "It was great, for awhile. But I'm originally from Bellport, so -"

  "No way. My grandma lives in Bellport," Maribella yelled.

  "Oh, wow, that's awesome," I smiled.

  "Yeah, I visit her all the time. I mean, when my sister want to go."

  "I lived there until I was fourteen," I said, realizing I'd just told a total stranger something personal about myself.

  She nodded, and I could tell she wanted to know more. But instead she said, "Well, I'm just a few more blocks this way."

  I nodded back. "Maybe we can hang out sometime?" The words came out easily.

  "Yes! We totally should. That would be fun," she answered right away.

  I held out my phone to her. "Give me your number?"

  She grabbed it and typed in her number then handed it back. "I'm at the store a lot, but I don't work Sundays."

  I nodded, taking my phone back. "Great, I'll talk to you soon, then?"

  "Awesome," she smiled.

  I watched her turn and walk off, so I skipped up the steps and swiped myself into the building. I went straight for the elevator, feeling pretty good about myself. I'd gone for a walk, and sort of made a new friend. I was actually excited about going on and being social that evening, too.

  It was 6P.M., so I made a sandwich. Caleb was not home, so I turned on the TV so the apartment wasn't so quiet. My thoughts were still non-stop, though. How was I going to do all of this? Keep up with school, have a social life, avoid both of my parents as much as I could. It felt like a lot. I had to meet with my guidance councillor Monday - maybe I would feel better after that.

  Fifteen minutes before Josie would be there to pick me up, I left the apartment again to go downstairs to wait. I left a note for Caleb that said I'd be out for the night. When the elevator doors opened so I could step in, there was Bennett. And his sister, Kelly.

  I didn't want to seem awkward so I smiled and stepped inside. As the door closed, Kelly began to talk.

  "Hey, you're Josie's new follower, right?"

  My back was turned to them, but I answered anyway. "I'm no one's follower."

  "Well, you're friends with her?" she asked.

  "Yeah."

  "Until she turns on you, I guess," Kelly went on.

  Bennett finally spoke. "Kelly, stop."

  "Woah, look at you defending the new girl," she snapped at him.

  The doors opened to the main lobby, and Kelly walked right passed me. I watched as she crossed the lobby and pushed open the door. I stepped out, my face feeling hot. I was embarrassed.

  "Hey..." Bennett said to me, unsure.

  "Don't. Seriously," I said quickly.

  "My sister is -"

  "I said don't. I'm not interested in this drama," I said again.

  "I'm not either, trust me," he answered seriously.

  "Well, unfortunately for you, your sister is the drama."

  "Iris, can we just talk? About -" Bennett went on, ignoring the fact that I did not want to talk to him.

  I put my hand up. "It was a mistake."

  "Not for me," he said quickly.

  I sighed. "Sorry. I have to go wait for my ride."

  Bennett reached out, grabbing at my hand. "Will you give me your number? Please?"

  "No," I shook my head. "But now you know what floor I live on," I said, smiling just a bit.

  I didn't look back as I went towards the doors, to wait outside.