Meet You There - Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Your Mom called again," Caleb told me, the next day.

   He was making lunch, some sandwiches and a huge salad. I was surprised by how casually he said this.

   "Okay," I said back, closing my novel that I had been reading, for English.

   "Do you want to talk about it?" he asked, placing the salad bowl on the table.

   I shrugged. "Maybe."

   I watched as he put out some plates, poured us some water and then sat down, waiting for me to join him. I walked over, pulling out the chair across from him.

   Truthfully, I had been thinking about my Mom a lot. I was seventeen, and I needed her, even if she had made some poor decisions in her mothering me. It was foolish of me to think I'd never talk to her again. But was I ready?

   "Fox is on her way over," Caleb said, and I knew what this meant. If I wanted to talk, do it now.

   I took a bite of my sandwich, chewing slowly. Then, finally, I spoke. "I think I might call her."

   Caleb just smiled. "Yeah?"

   "Maybe. I mean, I guess I'm considering it."

   "It's going to be messy," he said, then shrugged. "And it might not end up how you plan it."

   "Nothing every really does, for me," I answered. "But I'm in such a strange place in my life. Honestly, if I don't do it now, I might never."

   "Why do you say that?"

   "I'm going to New York. It's only like seven months away. And I'm not going to look back, you know? Once I'm gone."

   Caleb looked surprised, but smiled. "I guess I better get used to the drive to New York, then."

   IM FREE! SORT OF. MY DAD SAID YOU CAN COME OVER, Maribella texted a little while later.

   OKAY. SEND THE ADDRESS. ILL HEAD OVER SOON.

   22 WALTON AVE.  HOW WAS THE REST OF THE PARTY? she asked. 

   I'LL TELL YOU LATER. SEE YOU IN 30?

   AWESOME.

   I told Caleb that I was going to hang out at Maribella's, then tossed on a sweater and slipped into my shoes. I took the elevator down, not thinking about anything. I was looking forward to seeing Maribella, but when the elevator doors opened and I was face to face with Bennett, I practically stopped breathing.  His hair was wet, so I assumed he had been swimming.

   "Talk to me, please," he begged, surprised to see me.

   "Why?" I asked, stepping around him. "You won't talk to me."

   "I just... can't. It's so stupid," he said, shaking his head.

   "It is stupid. Because I feel like I could tell you anything. Like how I might actually call my mom, because I miss her a lot. But you can't tell me whatever it is you're hiding." I just kept my eyes on him.

   He looked like I'd hit him in my stomach. "Iris, I'm sorry."

   "Me too," I said, taking a few steps away.

   "Please. Can we not be fighting?" he asked, raising his voice.

   I looked back. "You know how to fix this."