Meet You There - Chapter 24

Chapter 24

It was getting colder outside and I wasn't expecting my hands to be cold as I walked. Even in the winter, California wasn't this cold. The coffee shop was busy and I got into line, glancing around for Maribella right away. She waved, from a table against the far wall. I got my coffee a few minutes later and went over to sit with her, the hot cup warming my hands.

   "How was work?" I asked her, pulling in my chair.

   She sighed. "My cousin was late getting in from the airport. She was vintage shopping in Florida for the past week. I had to work until after 5P.M."

   "Oh, that sucks." I sipped my coffee, but it was so hot.

   "So, what did you do today?" she asked, biting into a muffin.

   "Well, Bennett and I are... back together," I told her, quietly.

   "What? Together?" she yelled, shocked.

   "He ended up coming over last night. We sort of told each other all of our secrets and decided to start over."

   "Oh my god, Iris, that's amazing!" Maribella clapped her hands together, cheering.

   "Yeah," I smiled.

   "So, was he really a drug dealer?" she wanted to know.

   "He was."

   "And rehab?"

   "True. But he says he's not doing that anymore," I nodded.

   "Good. I'm so happy for you." She sipped her drink, some fancy latte or something.

   "Thanks. I swear I was really, really not planning on dating this year," I said, then shook my head.

   "Well, things don't always turn out how you plan," she shrugged.

   "No, I guess not. So, what about you?" I asked her.

   The cafe was crowded and a girl who worked there walked past quickly, bumping into my chair a bit. She apologized and I nodded, then turned back to Maribella.

   "Me?"

   "Do you have a boyfriend?" I asked.

   "I think I would have mentioned it," she laughed.

   "Well, anyone of interest?"

   She blushed, for just a second. "No, not really."

   "You're lying."

   "The only guy I like is totally off limits," she said, rolling her eyes.

   "Why?"

   "He's my sister's ex boyfriend's brother."

   "Oh, so who cares? You told me not to care what other people think and to give Bennett a chance," I told her.

   "Yeah. But my sister already hates me. It's not worth the drama." She finished her muffin and wrapped her hands around her cup. "It's fine, though. I'll find someone awesome in college."

   "Where do you want to go?" I asked, curious.

   "Oh, nowhere specific. Just not U of V, where Abbie goes," she laughed. "Maybe I'll follow you to New York."

   I smiled, big. "I would like that."

Going back to school on Monday kind of felt like the first day of school all over again. Except we were three months in and I no longer cared if I was accepted by Josie or Polly, or anyone. I hadn't even heard from them since the week before.

   I made it to lunch without getting sucked into a conversation, but I couldn't pretend I didn't hear Josie yelling to me as I waited in line to pay for my fries. We were maybe six feet away from each other.

   "Iris! Hey!"

   I paid, then glanced over, forcing a smile.

   "Come, sit!"

   I walked towards them, but didn't sit. I bit my bottom lip.

   "What's wrong?" Polly asked, looking confused as to why I was still standing.

   "Nothing. I'm good," I said.

   "So, sit," Josie said again, this time sounding annoyed.

   Finally I sat, across from Queen Bee, because I wanted to eat my lunch. I listened to their normal banter - gossip - for ten minutes, attempting my fries, which were still hot. I had forgotten ketchup. Then I saw Bennett stroll in to the cafeteria, two football buddies trailing behind him. I watched as he sat, peeled a banana and ate it. I saw him laugh at something.

   "Iris," Josie said, "did you hear me?"

   "Sorry," I replied, shaking my head.

   She spun around to see what I'd been looking at, and saw him. "For real? I thought the whole Bennett thing was over?"

   "Well, it's not really your business," I snapped.

    Carley gasped. Polly spoke quickly. "We are looking out for you."

   "I'm fine. Bennett and I can do whatever we want," I answered, staring at my fries.

   Josie cleared her throat. "Okay, go sit with him, then."

   Now I was angry, and still hungry. I scooped up the little cardboard tray of my now-cold fries, stood up and walked away.

   I walked passed where Bennett and his friends were sitting, but I didn't plan on stopping. He saw me, and reached out to grab my arm. I stopped.

   "Hey," he said, smiling his big smile.

   "Hi."

   "You okay?"

   I shook my head. He turned and said something to the guys, then stood up and linked his fingers into mine.

   The hallway outside the cafeteria was so full and it felt weird to be walking, holding hands with Bennett. We kept walked until we were back towards the office and main doors, down the hall where my locker was. I stopped at my locker and leaned against it, closing my eyes.

   "What's wrong?" Bennett asked, his voice calm.

   "The girls keep telling me to stay away from you," I said quickly, looking at him again.

   He looked hurt. "They don't know me."

   "I know."

   "So why do you care what they say?"

   "I... I don't know. You didn't bother to come and find me for lunch, so I had to sit with them," I accused him.

   "You didn't tell me you wanted to eat lunch with me," he replied.

   This was true. "Fine."

   "Iris, just talk to me. Tell me what you want."

   I turned towards him. "I want to not have to deal with Josie and Polly."

   "And?" he asked, smirking at me.

   "And..." I repeated, but didn't finish.

   He leaned in, kissing me a moment later. He was smiling again as he pulled away, hesitantly. "I have to meet a friend after school, but after that... let's hang out."

   "Study, you mean? I have a test tomorrow," I told him.

   "Study, right." He grinned.

   "You're a distraction." I smiled, giving in.

   "I'll be in the pool from four to five. Meet me there, if you want," he changed the subject.

   The bell rang, indicating lunch was over. I still hadn't eaten.

   "Maybe," I said, now opening my locker.

   "Meet you there," he said again, then turned and walked away.