Meet You There - Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Caleb wasn't usually home until after 5P.M - sometimes not until 6 - and it was only 4:30P.M. I got into the elevator alone and went up, hurrying down to the apartment. I was excited, which let me know that actually doing this with Bennett wasn't a bad thing. How could it be? But the apartment door was unlocked, and I felt immediate dread.

   Caleb was in the kitchen, and when I turned around, there was a beautiful red haired woman, sitting on the couch. She was smiling at me, standing up as I stepped closer to Caleb, confused.

   "Iris... this is Fox. She left the tour a couple weeks early -" Caleb was saying already.

   Fox, Caleb's girlfriend, was there, in his apartment, smiling at me. She had beautiful wavy red hair, down around her shoulders, blue eyes and a super model face and body, even wearing an over sized cardigan and jeans. She looked way too young and too pretty to be Caleb's girlfriend, in my opinion. She was not what I'd been expecting. I hadn't been expecting her, though, at all.

   Suddenly it hit me that I had invited Bennett to the apartment and I couldn't think straight, now. I needed to fix this.

   "Hi," I said, too quickly. "Uh, I actually have to..."

   "Iris, what's going on?" Caleb wanted to know, looking panicked.

   "I... I'm sorry. I'll be back..." I dropped my bag by the door and left the apartment again.

   I waited at the elevator, just as Bennett had done for me. It took about ten minutes before the door opened, and my heart was racing the entire time. When I saw him, he looked confused.

   "I'm sorry," I said right away.

   "Um, for what?" he asked, his eyes curious.

   He was wearing jeans and a grey hoodie, his hair still wet. He stepped out of the elevator and I watched as the doors closed again.

   "You can't come to my apartment," I said, looking at his feet.

   "Okay, why?" he asked back.

   "My uncle is home, and he's not usually home until later -"

   "Iris, we're just friends, doing friendly school- related things. I even brought my Bio textbook." He held it up, then dropped his arm again. Man, he was so cute.

   "Really?" I asked, surprised. He nodded. "My uncle's not the problem, really. His girlfriend is back, from tour-"

   "Tour?" Bennett look interested.

   "She's a musician. So is Caleb -" I went on.

   "Wait. Caleb Parker is your uncle? The Caleb Parker. How did I not put that together?" he asked, shaking his head.

   I shrugged. "I don't know. But it's complicated now, that his girlfriend is back and I live in his apartment, and..."

   "Hey, it's okay," Bennett went on, reaching for my hand. "Text me if you can hang out later?" I could tell he was disappointed, but he still looked so sweet.

   "Okay."

   He pushed the button for the elevator again, then turned back to me. His little smile was there, on his lips. The lips that I now just wanted to be kissing. What was I thinking? Getting involved like this, letting my heart open up even a little, was not the plan. But he was still holding onto my hand, and I liked it.

   "At least I know your apartment now. I'm 602," he said, grinning.

   "Okay," I said again.

   "Good luck," he finished.

   "Thanks." I dropped his hand and turned away, but just looked back in time to see him step into the elevator.

   "Iris," Caleb said seriously as I stepped back into the apartment, letting the door close behind me. "Everything okay?"

  I nodded, kicking off my shoes. "Yes. Sorry."

   Fox was standing in the kitchen now, stirring something in a big pot. I noticed two large suitcases down the hallway. She was here. She was back and I had no idea what this meant for me.

   I'd only been living there for six weeks, but I hadn't felt more at home anywhere, since Belport. I was not ready for this change. I didn't really want anything to change.

   "Dinner in fifteen minutes? We made chilli," Caleb went on, looking carefully at me.

   I nodded, but continued on down to my bedroom. I didn't want to sit and eat a meal with a woman I didn't know, who was about to ruin everything. I mean, possibly. Fox was not part of the plan, even though prior to today, I'd been looking forward to meeting her. But not like this. Maybe in the far off future. Now, I wished Bennett was with me more than anything.

   I HAVE TO HAVE DINNER WITH MY UNCLE AND HIS GIRLFRIEND, I sent a text to him a few minutes later, after changing into jeans and a sweater.

   YOU KNOW THEY ARE FAMOUS MUSICIANS, RIGHT? SO MANY GIRLS WOULD LOVE TO HAVE DINNER WITH THEM, he sent back.

   WELL, HE'S MY UNCLE. AND THIS IS WEIRD TO ME.

   I CAN'T BELIEVE I DIDN'T KNOW HE LIVES IN MY BUILDING. A FAMOUS PERSON! Bennett texted.

   YOURE GETTING OFF TRACK. ALSO, DON'T TELL PEOPLE THAT.

   I WONT. THINK YOU CAN SNEAK OUT AFTER DINNER FOR A BIT? he asked.

   MAYBE.

   ILL KEEP MY SCHEDULE OPEN.

   Sitting at the table in the kitchen, across from Caleb and beside Fox, I felt intimidated and awkward. The chili was really good, though, so that was a plus.

   "How was school today?" Caleb asked me, stirring around his bowl. He felt weird, too, I could tell.

   "Good," I answered, doing the same to mine.

   "Okay, let's get this out in the open," Fox spoke up. I looked up at her. "Yes, I'm back. I was gone for eight weeks and it was an amazing experience, but when the band's keyboard player met up with us this week, I felt relieved to get to come home early." Caleb smiled at her. I waited. "It was last minute, I just called last night to tell Caleb I was taking the train back, over night."

   "Okay," I said, taking a bite of my dinner. I didn't feel much better about any of this.

   "Iris, this won't change anything for you. Fox is going to live in her apartment across town. She just came here because we haven't seen each other in a long time -" Caleb began.

   "Don't worry about me, really," I said, forcing a smile at Fox. "I'm good. And it's really nice to meet you."

   They were quiet as we finished eating. I put my bowl and glass into the dishwasher, then told Caleb that I was going out for a bit. It was Friday night, after all.